[Hpn] One more note..

Lucinda Houston lucy@efn.org
Mon, 6 Nov 2000 17:47:13 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C04819.986DF860

That I almost forgot about.  How I came about driving taxi in =
Eugene/Springfield.

Welfare reform.  I was sent a notice that I received on a Friday =
ordering me to report to "Jobs Class" on the following Tuesday (4 days =
notice and unexpected, out of the blue).  The letter stated that if I =
was non compliant or didn't show that I risked losing my benefits (food =
stamps, cash, medical).
I quickly rounded up daycare, and one of two young ladies hired =
accidentally caused my son to break his leg.  (The only broken bone in =
the history of my lil family).  They were out shopping, and when giving =
him chase when he'd climbed out of the cart and gave her a good run for =
it, she barely grabbed his arm which caused him to spin and fall in such =
a way as to cause a spiral break on his leg.  Though she felt horribly =
guilty, I was inclined to think she was much too aggressive and that it =
could have been prevented had she been more thoughtful, careful, and =
less aggressive.  She tended towards military rule, and kept kids in the =
corner for discipline, but was rough minded.  I felt it could have been =
prevented, had she just slowed down and been more careful.  I couldn't =
say too much to her, though.  I thought she was going to break in two =
for the damaging result as it was.
After going and putting in at least 10 applications (required) a week, =
and feeling uneasy about it, worrying whether I would feel comfortable =
taking some job, any job, that might not necessarily please me or my =
nature, I got the bright idea that I would, and could, drive taxi.  That =
particular profession I was acquainted with and comfortable with, as I =
had previous experience with it and was skilled for.  I wouldn't get out =
with anything but a job.  Next thing I knew, I was behind the wheel, =
thinking I made the best of the affair.
The state, however, was not willing to pay childcare over and above what =
a conventional job would provide ie 8 hours a day, and taxi driving =
required 12 hours a day.  My shift was 7 am to 7 pm.  I ended up letting =
go of one working day a week, to eliminate hours that the state wouldn't =
cover.
It meant less money, but was good because it gave me more time with the =
children, the housework, the laundry, and the multitude of other things =
to do.

myself in the current and trying to survive by the capricious rule of =
the system, it affected us, resoundingly, in enormous ways that =
ultimately caused damage to my gained credit, my children, my being.  =
There are still resounding damages stemming from my quick promotion into =
welfare reform.

After letting go my less than desirable provider, and having given =
notice (to vacate), I left my apartment unit on, I believe, June 1st, =
the last day of my tenancy, and headed for Arkansas.  My credit to-date =
at that time was A-1, and I had only until the following month of July =
in which I was eligible for an fmha loan, which I had initially applied =
for 6-7 months previous, before being thrust into this situation and set =
of circumstances.  I was eligible for up to $104,000 loan, at 1% =
interest, with payments, I believe, of 30% of my current income, no =
deposit, but closing costs only, which they said would have amounted to =
about $1,000.

I almost made it there, but being crippled, facing the mission, with no =
job, suffering from real anxiety sickness which affected me to the point =
I could scarcely function, I opted for a get away, to try and rest and =
recuperate.  Though I got my strength back and restored somewhat, the =
events following would continue affecting our lives.

If I can help it I'll climb back up there, and get us organized yet.  =
It's not over til it's over, as the fat lady would say.  (Lol).

------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C04819.986DF860

That I almost forgot about.  = How I came=20 about driving taxi in Eugene/Springfield.

Welfare reform.  I was sent a = notice that I=20 received on a Friday ordering me to report to "Jobs Class" on = the=20 following Tuesday (4 days notice and unexpected, out of the blue).  = The=20 letter stated that if I was non compliant or didn't show that I risked = losing my=20 benefits (food stamps, cash, medical).
I quickly rounded up daycare, and one of two young = ladies=20 hired accidentally caused my son to break his leg.  (The only = broken bone=20 in the history of my lil family).  They were out shopping, and when = giving=20 him chase when he'd climbed out of the cart and gave her a good run for = it, she=20 barely grabbed his arm which caused him to spin and fall in such a way = as to=20 cause a spiral break on his leg.  Though she felt horribly guilty, = I was=20 inclined to think she was much too aggressive and that it could have = been=20 prevented had she been more thoughtful, careful, and less = aggressive.  She=20 tended towards military rule, and kept kids in the corner for = discipline, but=20 was rough minded.  I felt it could have been prevented, had she = just slowed=20 down and been more careful.  I couldn't say too much to her, = though. =20 I thought she was going to break in two for the damaging result as it=20 was.
After going and putting in at least 10 applications = (required)=20 a week, and feeling uneasy about it, worrying whether I would feel = comfortable=20 taking some job, any job, that might not necessarily please me or my = nature, I=20 got the bright idea that I would, and could, drive taxi.  That = particular=20 profession I was acquainted with and comfortable with, as I had previous = experience with it and was skilled for.  I wouldn't get out with = anything=20 but a job.  Next thing I knew, I was behind the wheel, thinking I = made the=20 best of the affair.
The state, however, was not willing to pay childcare = over and=20 above what a conventional job would provide ie 8 hours a day, and taxi = driving=20 required 12 hours a day.  My shift was 7 am to 7 pm.  I ended = up=20 letting go of one working day a week, to eliminate hours that the state = wouldn't=20 cover.
It meant less money, but was good because it gave me = more time=20 with the children, the housework, the laundry, and the multitude of = other things=20 to do.

After letting go my less than desirable provider, = and having=20 given notice (to vacate), I left my apartment unit on, I believe, June = 1st, the=20 last day of my tenancy, and headed for Arkansas.  My credit to-date = at that=20 time was A-1, and I had only until the following month of July in which = I was=20 eligible for an fmha loan, which I had initially applied for 6-7 months=20 previous, before being thrust into this situation and set of=20 circumstances.  I was eligible for up to $104,000 loan, at 1% = interest,=20 with payments, I believe, of 30% of my current income, no deposit, but = closing=20 costs only, which they said would have amounted to about = $1,000.

I almost made it there, but being crippled, facing = the=20 mission, with no job, suffering from real anxiety sickness which = affected me to=20 the point I could scarcely function, I opted for a get away, to try and = rest and=20 recuperate.  Though I got my strength back and restored somewhat, = the=20 events following would continue affecting our lives.

If I can help it I'll climb back up = there, and=20 get us organized yet.  It's not over til it's over, as the fat lady = would=20 say.  (Lol).

------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C04819.986DF860--