[Hpn] Voting Completed

Lucinda Houston lucy@efn.org
Mon, 6 Nov 2000 13:23:34 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_0020_01C047F4.C38C0660

Although I had reserved yesterday to devote needed time to study =
candidates and measures and get my vote completed, I had company and =
enough activity to prevent me from just that.  I cleaned house instead, =
as to be doing something useful.
So last night, kids to bed, house cleared, I dragged out voting =
materials, pamphlets, ballot, instructions, and set to getting this =
business accomplished.
It was nearly 11 pm when I began the endeavor.
It was 3:34 am when I'd punched the last hole in my card.
I'm looking a bit worn and haggard today, but my ballot has been dropped =
in the drop box at City Hall, and the business of voting done.  Whew!

There were 26 state measures on the ballot, the most since 1914, and a =
record setting 607 arguments (which cost $500 a piece or were placed for =
free requiring 1,000 voter signatures).  It created the thickest voters =
pamphlet in Oregon history.

I have admired all the literature and information provided on the =
subject of voting.  For instance I wasn't entirely sure that what mom =
told me about not having to vote each contest or measure, but to vote on =
what you are familiar with, and it will count.  This information was =
validated in the instructions portion of the ballot booklet.  It may be =
on there each year for all I know, but I remember it was someone telling =
me about it, that made me conscious and aware of the idea.

I voted everything except a couple of local (City of Oakridge) contests =
(City council), because I could not find in all my mailed voting =
materials, anything to do with our town politics.  I imagine it was =
published in the newspaper, which I hadn't bothered to pick up.  I only =
voted on one candidate I was familiar with, leaving the rest blank for =
being unfamiliar, and not wanting to guess.

Here is an interesting article I picked up on MSNBC earlier today.  =
There is an instant poll for your thoughts regarding Nader/Gore to the =
left of the article.  No loading up, just a percentage bar the instant =
you click on an answer.

Enjoy your vote and may all your aspirations manifest!

http://www.msnbc.com/news/483168.asp?bt=3Dnm&btu=3Dhttp://www.msnbc.com/t=
ools/newstools/d/news_menu.asp

------=_NextPart_000_0020_01C047F4.C38C0660

Although I had reserved yesterday to = devote=20 needed time to study candidates and measures and get my vote completed, = I had=20 company and enough activity to prevent me from just that.  I = cleaned house=20 instead, as to be doing something useful.
So last night, kids to bed, house = cleared, I=20 dragged out voting materials, pamphlets, ballot, instructions, and set = to=20 getting this business accomplished.
It was nearly 11 pm when I began the = endeavor.
It was 3:34 am when I'd punched the = last hole in=20 my card.
I'm looking a bit worn and haggard = today, but my=20 ballot has been dropped in the drop box at City Hall, and the business = of voting=20 done.  Whew!

There were 26 state measures on the = ballot, the=20 most since 1914, and a record setting 607 arguments (which cost $500 a = piece or=20 were placed for free requiring 1,000 voter signatures).  It created = the=20 thickest voters pamphlet in Oregon history.

I have admired all the literature = and=20 information provided on the subject of voting.  For instance I = wasn't=20 entirely sure that what mom told me about not having to vote each = contest or=20 measure, but to vote on what you are familiar with, and it will = count. =20 This information was validated in the instructions portion of the ballot = booklet.  It may be on there each year for all I know, but I = remember it=20 was someone telling me about it, that made me conscious and aware of the = idea.

I voted everything except a couple = of local=20 (City of Oakridge) contests (City council), because I could not find in = all my=20 mailed voting materials, anything to do with our town politics.  I = imagine=20 it was published in the newspaper, which I hadn't bothered to pick = up.  I=20 only voted on one candidate I was familiar with, leaving the rest blank = for=20 being unfamiliar, and not wanting to guess.

Here is an interesting article I = picked up on=20 MSNBC earlier today.  There is an instant poll for your thoughts = regarding=20 Nader/Gore to the left of the article.  No loading up, just a = percentage=20 bar the instant you click on an answer.

Enjoy your vote and may all your = aspirations=20 manifest!