[Hpn] Radio talk show on VT housing & homelessness went great

Morgan W. Brown morganbrown@hotmail.com
Mon, 06 Nov 2000 13:44:50 EST

Hello HPN Fellow Travelers (FT's),

Tom Boland had been encouraging me to resub to HPN and was finally was
successful when he suggested the HPN digest feature available. After working
out the bugs to resub me for the HPN digest format and other things that
delayed it a bit, I am back. Though I will probably be too busy to actively
respond at least for a while.

Last week Tom asked me how the community radio show on WGDR regarding
Vermont housing and homelessness went on Tuesday, October 31, 2000. Below is
a forward of my response to him which he suggested that I resend to HPN. I
am sending it but with corrections (mostly typo's) which I came across after
I sent it to Tom.

For information about WGDR, go to:

WGDR:

http://www.goddard.edu/wgdr/index.htm

~~~Forwarded (edited) message:

Radio talk show on VT housing & homelessness went great:

The radio talk show went great in my opinion.

There were some real hard questions, but I think they were handled fairly
well. I responded as best as I could. Plus I was glad that these questions
were raised actually.

A couple of callers suggested that a solution was to handle the need for
housing for those most in need and for people who are or otherwise would be
homeless by bringing back poor farms or something along those lines.

One caller suggested that if only I realized that it was too cold and hard
to survive here, that I would move to a warmer climate that would solve my
problem.

This stuff and the attitudes behind them are definitely out there up here
anyway and I believe they need to be brought out in public, aired and
discussed.

None of us who were doing the show, either the host or any of us guests,
brought up these things though. They were brought up solely by certain
callers. You should have seen our faces to both the poor farm suggestions
and the move to warmer climates suggestion.

Funny thing is these are people who are so-called progressives and rights
oriented -- or so it would seem since that is what the show and the radio
station's broadcast are mostly about.

Basically I dealt with the poor farm solution in two different ways, since
it kept getting brought up over and over. First I suggested if they thought
it were a good idea that they were welcome to live in one if that were
really there choice. I suggested they not impose on anyone else what they
would not choose for themselves in similar circumstances. Then, when certain
people tried to suggest that some people would welcome it and view it as a
community that they would live in, I said that if it were a "real choice"
and not one being imposed or a choice made to avoid other poorer choices and
if it were real community and not one that was to set them apart from other
people and other communities in the area and if they were willing to live
there as well, then possibly something like that may be workable.

I also stated that if the callers were suggesting a real community that they
wanted to be a part of in which they would share themselves and of what is
theirs with others, then that is a community I would welcome to be a part of
myself and would gladly do likewise.

At one point when a caller was being very forceful and defensive about it,
basically I (forcefully) stated that what they were recommending was nothing
more than concentrations camps to put people out of sight and out of mind
and that was not a solution. I said that it was only more of one group doing
something to and for another group they
saw as a problem. I said that we need to work together with people were
everything one is an equal, etc.

The caller who suggested that I was not be realistic and should know to move
to warmer climates called in twice. I first stated why I felt I should be
able to live were I wanted and why I chose to live here. I included the
facts that I do not do good in hot or humid climates. Plus I was born, breed
and raised in New England and loved it here. In addition to that was the
fact that I loved living in Vermont specifically and had no desire to move
away if I could avoid it. Then on his second call, I basically stated that I
should not be forced to be a refugee simply because housing is not a right
and because it may be cold and harder to survive here.

We also focused on other things. The other two guests on the show were
excellent -- which I knew they would be. Overall, it was a very good show in
my opinion. I felt good about it anyway.

Morgan
Morgan W. Brown
Montpelier Vermont USA

PS

If you find yourself asking, "who is this person?": Morgan W. Brown is a
struggling, but "serious & persistent" writer, poet and activist residing in
the Montpelier Vermont area. His life experience includes that of
psychiatric incarceration, shock treatment (ECT), and also being homeless.

If you haven't read my first published article (first of a three part
series) on the Internet, please go to:

Net-Working: Revolutionizing What it Means to be Connected:

http://www.vcil.org/Advocacy/morgan1.html

If you want to receive an e-mail copy of part two which was recently
published but is not yet available online, e-mail me with a direct request
at: morganbrown@hotmail.com

-- MWB