[Hpn] Parents Have the Right to Choose (education)

Lucinda Houston lucy@efn.org
Sun, 5 Nov 2000 21:08:43 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_0019_01C0476C.9423FB40

Human Declaration of Rights, Article 26:3

(3) Parents have a prior right to choose the kind of education that =
shall be given to their children.

Prior  adj.  2.  preceding in importance or privilege.

Would this apply to schools for homeless and/or home schooling?

Reference: =
http://communities.msn.com/TheMacroSocietyofOregon&naventryid=3D116
(The Human Declaration of Rights)

Undocumented immigrants

Article 14:2

(2)  No one shall be arbitrarily deprived of his nationality nor denied =
the right to change his nationality.

Random House Websters College dictionary
=20
Arbitrary  adj.  1.  Subject to individual will or judgement without =
restriction; contingent solely upon ones discretion:  an arbitrary =
decision.  2.  decided by a judge or arbiter rather than by a law or =
statute.  3.  Having unlimited power; uncontrolled and unrestricted by =
law; despotic: an arbitrary government.  4.  capricious; unreasonable; =
unsupported:  an arbitrary demand for payment. =20
=20
Despot  n.  2. any (tyrant or) oppressor.
Despotic
=20
Oppress  v.t.  1.  to govern or manage with cruel or unjust restraints;  =
exercise with harsh authority or power over.  2.  to lie heavily upon =
(the mind, a person, etc.)  weigh down.  3.  Archaic, to put down, =
subdue or suppress.
Oppressor

Homeless people traveling, camping, sleeping

Article 13.  (1)  Everyone has the right to freedom of movement and =
residence within the borders of each state.

Reside  v.l.  3.  to rest or be vested, as powers or rights.
=20
Residence  n.  the act or fact of residing.

I keep thinking that humans are first, and important.

You are only as strong as your weakest member.  The weakest members are =
getting weaker.

400 years ago and given this situation (of conflict and human rights) we =
might have grouped, found territory to conquer (for our beliefs and =
freedom) and outright killed people (and sacrificed our lives) in order =
to get our "space" and right to believe and practice as we will.

This is modern day, and we know much better than to solve our problems =
by being violent, but we are experiencing the same growth changes and =
dissatisfaction as in ages past.

We aren't Christopher Columbus, or English settlers looking for relief =
or respite from oppression.  We are modern day Americans who are =
experiencing the same=20
dissatisfaction as our predecessors before coming to America.

The same as Moses and the children of Israel.

I realize that a lot of our mishaps have to do with "the paper work", =
and/or lack of it.  The rainbow gathering got busted up and fined =
because they lacked the proper paperwork.  Bill Conde and his World Hemp =
Fest, got screwed up because he initially lacked the proper paperwork.  =
One of my best Eugene babysitters, Teresa, from Mexico, was denied the =
privilege of being paid for her work and continuing it (though I got it =
all for her anyway through the local welfare agency) because she lacked =
the proper paperwork.  (that would make her a legal citizen).  Jennifer =
and Leroy Byrd (Tucson Citizen, 3/31/82) were issued 3 misdemeanor =
citations for breaking the state cumpulsory school law, when they =
enrolled in a home schooling course and pulled their children from =
public schools, because they hadn't filed a required "exemption to the =
attendance law" that were "routinely granted"  (according to John =
Hestand, the deputy penal county attorney prosecuting the Byrds) if they =
had.

I can't find anything in the Bill that covers the paperwork but there is =
reference to law.

Another perspective is that we separate ourselves and are inclined to =
withdraw from more aggressive, offensive, situations and people, and =
"tricky" society. =20

There is, however, something in the word despotic.

Article 3.  Everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of =
person.

Life  n.  2.  the animate existence or period of animate existence of an =
individual. 3.  a corresponding state, existence, or principle of =
existence conceived of as belonging to the soul.  4.  the general or =
universal condition of human existence.  10.  the course of existence or =
sum of experiences and actions that constitute a persons existence.  12. =
 animation, liveliness, spirit. 15.  a mode or manner of existence, as =
in the world of affairs or society.

Liberty  n.  freedom from arbitrary or despotic government or control.  =
2.  freedom from external or foreign rule; independence.  3.  freedom =
from control, interferance, obligation, restriction etc.; power or right =
of acting according to choice.  4.  freedom from captivity, confinement, =
or physical restraint.  6.  freedom of right to frequent or use a place: =
 The visitors were given the liberty of the city.

Security  n.  1.  freedom from danger, risk, etc., safety.  2.  freedom =
from care, anxiety, doubt.  3.  something that protects or makes safe; =
defense.  4.  freedom from financial cares.=20

Person n.  a human being; a man, woman, or child

So, like where are these rights going to lead us?  Will they protect our =
camps and our makeshift tents?  Will they free us from anxiety?  Will =
they assure us maximum safety?  Will they help us to secure financially =
and otherwise the means that we need to ensure our human dignity and =
worth?

------=_NextPart_000_0019_01C0476C.9423FB40

Human Declaration of Rights, Article = 26:3

(3) Parents = have a prior=20 right to choose the kind of education that shall be given to their=20 children.

Prior  adj.  = 2. =20 preceding in importance or privilege.

Would this apply to = schools for=20 homeless and/or home schooling?

Reference: http://communities.msn.com/TheMacroSocietyofOregon&naventryid=3D1= 16
(The Human Declaration of = Rights)

Undocumented immigrants

Article 14:2

(2)  No one shall be = arbitrarily=20 deprived of his nationality nor denied the right to change his=20 nationality.

Random House Websters College=20 dictionary

Arbitrary  adj.  = 1. =20 Subject to individual will or judgement without restriction; contingent = solely=20 upon ones discretion:  an arbitrary decision.  = 2. =20 decided by a judge or arbiter rather than by a law or statute.  = 3. =20 Having unlimited power; uncontrolled and unrestricted by law; despotic: an arbitrary government.  = 4. =20 capricious; unreasonable; unsupported:  an arbitrary demand for = payment.

Despot  n.  2. = any (tyrant or) oppressor.
Despotic

Oppress  v.t.  1.  to govern = or manage=20 with cruel or unjust restraints;  exercise with harsh authority or = power=20 over.  2.  to lie=20 heavily upon (the mind, a person, = etc.) =20 weigh down.  3. =20 Archaic, to put down, subdue or suppress.
Oppressor

Homeless people traveling, camping, = sleeping

Article 13.  (1)  = Everyone=20 has the right to freedom of movement and residence within the borders of = each=20 state.

Reside  v.l.  3.  to rest or = be=20 vested, as powers or rights.

Residence  n.  the act or fact of = residing.

I keep thinking that humans are first, and=20 important.

You are only as strong as your weakest member.  = The=20 weakest members are getting weaker.

400 years ago and given this situation (of conflict = and human=20 rights) we might have grouped, found territory to conquer (for our = beliefs and=20 freedom) and outright killed people (and sacrificed our lives) in order = to get=20 our "space" and right to believe and practice as we = will.

This is modern day, and we know much better than to = solve our=20 problems by being violent, but we are experiencing the same growth = changes and=20 dissatisfaction as in ages past.

We aren't Christopher Columbus, or English settlers = looking=20 for relief or respite from oppression.  We are modern day Americans = who are=20 experiencing the same
dissatisfaction as our predecessors before coming to = America.

The same as Moses and the children of = Israel.

I realize that a lot of our mishaps have to do with = "the=20 paper work", and/or lack of it.  The rainbow gathering got = busted up=20 and fined because they lacked the proper paperwork.  Bill Conde and = his=20 World Hemp Fest, got screwed up because he initially lacked the proper=20 paperwork.  One of my best Eugene babysitters, Teresa, from Mexico, = was=20 denied the privilege of being paid for her work and continuing it = (though I got=20 it all for her anyway through the local welfare agency) because she = lacked the=20 proper paperwork.  (that would make her a legal citizen).  = Jennifer=20 and Leroy Byrd (Tucson Citizen, 3/31/82) were issued 3 misdemeanor = citations for=20 breaking the state cumpulsory school law, when they enrolled in a home = schooling=20 course and pulled their children from public schools, because they = hadn't filed=20 a required "exemption to the attendance law" that were = "routinely=20 granted"  (according to John Hestand, the deputy penal county = attorney=20 prosecuting the Byrds) if they had.

I can't find anything in the Bill that covers the = paperwork=20 but there is reference to law.

Another perspective is that we = separate=20 ourselves and are inclined to withdraw from more aggressive, offensive,=20 situations and people, and "tricky" society.  =

There is, however, something in the word=20 despotic.

Article 3.  Everyone = has the right=20 to life, liberty and security of person.

Life  n.  = 2.  the=20 animate existence or period of animate existence of an individual. = 3.  a=20 corresponding state, existence, or principle of existence conceived of = as=20 belonging to the soul.  4.  the general or universal condition = of=20 human existence.  10.  the course of existence or sum of = experiences=20 and actions that constitute a persons existence.  12.  = animation,=20 liveliness, spirit. 15.  a mode or manner of existence, as in the = world of=20 affairs or society.

Liberty  n.  freedom=20 from arbitrary or despotic = government or control.  2.  freedom from external = or foreign=20 rule; independence.  3.  freedom = from control, interferance, obligation,=20 restriction etc.; power or=20 right of acting according to choice.  4.  freedom from captivity, = confinement, or physical restraint.  6.  freedom of right to = frequent=20 or use a place:  The visitors were given the liberty of the=20 city.

Security  n.  1.  freedom = from danger,=20 risk, etc., safety.  2.  freedom from care, anxiety, = doubt. =20 3.  something that protects or makes safe; defense.  4.  = freedom=20 from financial cares.

Person n.  a human being; a man, = woman, or=20 child

So, like where are these rights going to lead = us?  Will=20 they protect our camps and our makeshift tents?  Will they free us = from=20 anxiety?  Will they assure us maximum safety?  Will they help = us to=20 secure financially and otherwise the means that we need to ensure our = human=20 dignity and worth?

------=_NextPart_000_0019_01C0476C.9423FB40--