[Hpn] inyaface pt 2

Sandy Andrews sandra@asu.edu
Sun, 05 Nov 2000 15:29:42 -0700 (MST)

Hi,

I just want to say that to me Pappas school in Phoenix has only a
couple things wrong with it...one is the tracking/labeling...the other is
the corporate sponsorship. Ugh. But. The school is an oasis for kids. A
place they want to go in the morning. A place where they can sleep in
class if they want.  A place where they can eat in class, or draw. A comfy
place that is like home. The bus will pick you up anywhere (shelter, on
the street.) It is not like a mainstream school, no. It is like home,
however. Kids don't have to go there.  They can go to mainstream schools
instead. Kids stay there maybe three months unless their families become
homeless again *and the parents and kids continue to choose Pappas. It is
a place to rest, in a traumatic time. No one complains if you are late,
no one looks at your clothes.

Sure it may be more PC to say, schools like this segregate. But we always
need to consider the child's experience first. So I disagree with you
guys on this one.

What I read in this report is solely that Pappas has not managed to change
school policy for all of Phoenix. I don't think the report is being really
very fair, you know? Pappas goes out and picks up the kids...sure it would
be nice if the option were completely 50:50 and the other schools would do
the same...or if the shelters had busses. Pappas teachers are kinda busy
and spearheading a major policy change is maybe asking a lot...that would
be up to someone like me..if I had any spare time.

The real problem is labeling..so...two Pappas teachers founded a
high school that is a charter school and is not labeled "homeless" but
rather "school to work." Lot of Pappas graduates go there but so do other
kids.  Kids are given bus tokens to get back and forth. It is not quite
the same. The non-homeless kids seem harsher. But it doesn't label!

Sandy

On Sun, 5 Nov 2000, chance martin wrote:

> 3-
> School Segregation and Homeless Children and Youth:
> Questions and Answers

<snip>

> barriers that homeless children faced in accessing mainstream schools. In
> addition, some segregated programs fail to challenge rules or policies that
> act as barriers to homeless childrenıs school enrollment and attendance, but
> rather cite them as reasons that justify the programıs existence. In just
> one example, the Thomas J. Pappas school in Phoenix, Arizona has justified
> its existence in part by pointing to residency requirements and other
> barriers that illegally prevent homeless children from going to mainstream
> schools. Yet the school has not acted to challenge or remove these barriers.
> Thus, the majority of homeless children in Phoenix continue to face barriers
> accessing school; given the limited abilities of the Pappas school to reach
> all homeless children in Phoenix, many children may be left with no
> educational options at all.

<snip>