[Hpn] (no subject)

lori munch lorimunch@yahoo.com
Fri, 03 Nov 2000 11:45:41 -0800 (PST)

From: "Barr, Ewan" <ebarr@coair.com>  | Block
To: 'Carolyn Munch' <cmunch@icsd.k12.ny.us>,
Subject: Petition for women
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 10:48:44 -0600
        Add Addresses

This is from my friend in Denver

-----Original Message-----
From: Karen Hazard [mailto:khazard@uswest.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 02, 2000 10:26 AM
To: Barbara, Byrne,; Zielonka, Cindy; Barr, Ewan;

Florentine, T.J.;
Ford, Carla; Hayden, Bob and Patty; Margot,
Humphrey,; Morton, Anita;
Proctor, Beverly; Rowbotham, Liz; Van Dyke, Robyn

> Ignore this message if you choose to, but
please don't kill it. If
you
> > decide not to forward this, please  send it
> > sarabande@brandeis.edu >>
>  >
> > << This is an actual petition, and
"signatures" will be  lost if you

drop
> > the line.
> > >>
>  >
> > Dear Friends,
> >
> > Please do not ignore  this email. This is
something that we as women

> > and essentially as  human beings need to
support- I don't know if
this
> > is going to help  but take 4 minutes out of
your life to do your
part.

> >  Madhu, the government of Afghanistan, is
waging a war upon women.
> >  Since the Taliban took power in 1996, women
have had to wear burqua

and
>  > have been beaten and stoned in public for
not having the proper
attire,
> > even if this means simply not having the mesh

covering in  front of
their
> > eyes. One woman was beaten to death by an
angry mob  of
> > fundamentalists for accidentally exposing her

arm while she  was
> > driving. Another was stoned to death for
trying to leave the
country
> > with a man that was not a relative. Women are

not allowed  to work
or
even
> > go out
> > in public without a male  relative;
professional women such as
professors,
> > translators,  doctors, lawyers, artists and
writers have been forced

> > from their  jobs and stuffed into their
homes. Homes where a woman
is
> > present  must have their windows painted so
that she can never be
seen
by
> >  outsiders They must wear silent shoes so
that they are never heard.

>  >
> > Women live in fear of their lives for the
slightest  misbehavior.
Because
> > they cannot work, those without male
relatives  or husbands are
> > either starving to death or begging on the
street,  even if they
hold
> > Ph.D.s.
> >
> > Depression is  becoming so widespread that it

has reached emergency
> > levels. There  is no way in such an extreme
Islamic society to know
> > the suicide  rate with certainty, but relief
workers are estimating
that
> > the  suicide rate among women must be
extraordinarily high: those
who
> >  cannot find proper medication and treatment
for severe depression
and
>  > would rather take their lives than live in
such conditions. At one
of
> > the rare hospitals for women, a reporter
found still, nearly
lifeless
> > bodies
> > lying motionless on top of beds,  wrapped in
their burqua, unwilling

> > to speak, eat, or do anything,  but slowly
wasting away. Others have

> > gone mad and were seen  crouched in corners,
perpetually rocking or
> > crying, most of them in  fear. When what
little medication that is
left
> > finally runs out,  one doctor is considering
leaving these women in
front
> > of the  president's residence as a form of
protest. It is at the
point
> >  where the term "human rights violations" has

become an
understatement.
>  >
> > Husbands have the power of life and death
over their women
relatives,
> > especially their wives, but an angry mob has
just as  much right to
stone
> > or
> > beat a woman, often to death,  for exposing
an inch of flesh or
offending
> > them in the slightest  way. Women enjoyed
relative
> > freedom: to work, to dress generally as  they

wanted, and to drive
and
> > appear in public alone until only  1996. The
rapidity of this
transition
> > is the main reason for the  depression and
suicide; women who were
once
> > educators or doctors or  simply used to basic

human freedoms are now

> > severely restricted and  treatedas subhuman
in the name of
right-wing
> > fundamentalist Islam.  It is not their
tradition or 'culture,' but
it
is
> > alien to them,  and it is extreme even for
those cultures where
> > fundamentalism is  the rule. Everyone has a
right to a tolerable
> > human existence, even  if they are women in a

Muslim country. If we
can
> > threaten military  force in Kosovo in the
name of human rights for
the
sake
> > of ethnic  people then the United Nations and

the world should
express
> >  peaceful outrage at the oppression, murder
and injustice committed
against
> > women by the Taliban.
> >
> > STATEMENT:  In signing this, we agree that
the current treatment of
> > women in  Afghanistan is completely
UNACCEPTABLE and deserves action
by
> > the  United Nations and that the current
situation overseas will not
be
> >  tolerated. Women's Rights is not a small
issue anywhere, and it is
> >  UNACCEPTABLE for women in 2000 to be treated

as subhuman and as so
> >  much property. Equality and human decency
are fundamental RIGHTS,
not
>  > freedoms to be granted, whether one lives in

Afghanistan or
> >  elsewhere.
> >
> > 1.) Giuliana D. Black, Daly City, CA,  USA
> >
> > 2.) Mariam Nayiny, Palo Alto, CA, USA
>  >
> > 3.) Sunaina Gulati-Ruh, Palo Alto, CA USA
> >
>  > 4.) Megan McCaslin, Palo Alto, CA USA
> >
> > 5.) Blake  Hallanan, San Francisco, Ca. USA
> >
> > 6.) Kit Henderson,  Sacramento, CA USA
> >
> > 7.) Kara Myers, San Francisco,  CA
> >
> > 8.) Ellen Tilden, San Francisco, CA
>  >
> > 9.) Vanessa Ross, San Francisco, CA
> >
> >  10.) Jenna Shaw-Battista, San Francisco,CA
> >
> > 11.) Jeanne  Racik, Berkeley, CA
> >
> > 12.) Julie Silas, Oakland,  CA
> >
> > 13.) Renee Longstreet, Tarzana, CA
>  >
> > 14.) Susan Johnson, Encino, CA
> >
> > 15.)  Kenneth Johnson, Encino, CA
> >
> > 16.) Terri Treas, Los  Angeles, CA
> >
> > 17.) Amy Retzinger, North Hollywood,  CA
> >
> > 18.) Babette Crooms, Los Angeles, CA
>  >
> > 19.) Olivia Kienzel; Santa Barbara, CA
> >  >
> > 20.) Rebecca Longworth, New York, NY
> >
> >  21.) Kelly J. Williams, Chester, VA
> >
> > 22.) Audrey W.  Bunch, Elizabeth City, NC
> >
> > 23.) Frances G.  Shannonhouse, Elizabeth
City, NC

> > 24.) Sharolyn M.  Herring, Elizabeth City, NC

> > 25.) Michael W.  Christol, Owensboro, Ky
> >
> > 26.) Damon K. Christol,  Louisville, Ky
> >
> > 27.) Wendy D. Patton, Owensboro,  Ky
> >
> > 28.) Judy W. Christol, Owensboro, Ky
>  >
> > 29.) Errol Bruce-Knapp, Toronto, ON
> >
> >  30.) David Cavlovic,Toronto
> >
> > 31.) Sandra Bellio,  Toronto
> >
> > 32.) St,phane Potvin
> >
> >  33.) Fred Schmidt, Hamilton, ON
> >
> > 34.) Paula Schmidt,  Prince George, BC
> >
> > 35.) Lisa Schmidt, Delta, BC
>  >
> > 36.) Jennifer Ward, Vancouver BC >>
> >
>  > 37.) Johanna Ward, Vancouver, B.C.
> >
> > 38.) Rachel  Peterson, Vancouver, B.C.
> >
> > 39.) Patricia Murray,  Vancouver, BC
> >
> > 40.) Bobbi Priel, Vancouver ,BC
>  >
> > 41.) Julie Gilmore, Maple Ridge, B.C.
> >
>  > 42.) Tamilyn Gilmore, Maple Ridge, B.C.
> >
> > 43.)  Tanya Anand, Maple Ridge, B. C.
> >
> > 44.) Sophie Geluch,  Maple Ridge, BC
> >
> > 45.) James Lockwood, Victoria,  BC
> >
> > 46.) Nicole Hyldig, Sidney, BC
> >
>  > 47.) Stephanie Puckett, Sidney, BC
> >
> > 48.) Melissa  Atkins, Sidney, bc
> >
> > 49.) Megan Sutherland, Victoria,  BC
> >
> > 50.) Kimberly Restall, Victoria, BC
>  >
> > 51.) Maresa M., Victoria, BC
> >
> > 52.)  D'Andrea Turner Virginia, USA
> >
> > 53.) Kasey Jackson  Pennsylvania, USA
> >
> > 54.)Sam Bianchini, Pennsylvania,  USA
> >
> > 55.) Lynn Davies, Baltimore, MD, USA
>  >
> > 56.) Melanie Fresh, Baltimore, MD, USA
> >
>  > 57.) Lindy Utermohle, Baltimore, MD, USA
> >
> > 58.)  Cathy Wood, Baltimore, MD, USA
> >
> > 59.) Michael Jones,  Hewitt, TX USA
> >
> > 60.) William Sailer, Ventura, CA  USA
> >
> > 61.) Judy C. Hines, Ventura, CA USA
>  >
> > 62.) Marjorie Hines, Ventura, CA USA
> >
> >  63.) Robert Spotts, Oakley, CA USA
> >
> > 64.) Deborah  O'Brien, Richmond, Ca. USA
> >
> > 65.) Bess Carnahan, Fort  Laramie WY USA
> >
> > 66.) Roberta Carson, Norwich, NY  USA
> >
> > 67.) Sally Chirlin, Norwich, NY USA
>  >
> > 68.) Joy Gorence, Naples, FL, USA >>
>  >
> > 69.) Cynthia Trowbridge, NC USA
> >
> > 70.)  Patricia Murphy, NC, USA
> >
> > 71.) David Cameron, NC,  USA
> >
> > 72.) Martha Cameron, NC, USA
> >
>  > 73.) Linda Wickenkamp, NC, USA
> >
> > 74.) Marilyn  Peterman, NC, USA
> >
> > 75.) Elizabeth Glenn Seimer, NC,  USA
> >
> > 76.) Liberty Bradford Conboy, Los Angeles,
CA,  USA

> > 77.) Mariah Morgan Bradford, Martinez, CA,
USA

> > 78.) Emily Rose Haney, Walnut Creek,  Ca,USA
> >
> > 79.) Lorie K. Haney, Walnut Creek, CA,  USA
> >
> > 80.) Lisa M. Heineking, Orinda, CA USA
>  >
> > 81.) Alyssa Sacher, Oakland, CA USA
> >
> >  82.) Carla Hardaway, SF, CA, USA
> >
> > 83.) Shanon Orrock,  Menlo Park, CA, USA
> >
> > 84.) Emily Aiken, Los Angeles, CA,  USA
> >
> > 85.) Debbie Cope West Hills, CA USA
>  >
> > 86) Teri Thompson Simi Valley, CA USA
> >
>  > 87) Patricia Sullivan
> >
> > 88) Carol Harris
>  >
> > 89) Betsyann Faiella
> >
> > 90) Lexi  Godfrey
> >
> > 91) Jennifer Green LA, CA
> >
>  > 92) Laura Black W. Hollywood, CA
> >
> > 93) Jon Bono  Pizzurro Joshua Tree, Ca.
> >
> > 94) Nancy Poitou, Glendora,  CA
> >
> > 95) Maria Andrade, Claremont, CA >>
>  >
> > 96) Lorna Pfluke, Placentia, CA USA
> >
> >  97) Jerry McCalla
> >
> > 98) Betty McCalla
>  >
> > 99) Judy Rosevear
> >
> > 100) Ron  Rosevear
> >
> > 101) Peggy Taylor
> >
> >  102) Philip Taylor
> >
> > 103) Elizabeth Talmage, San  Clemente, CA
> >
> > 104)Andrea Hart, Paradise, UT
>  >
> > 105) Carol Leslie, Providence, UT
> >
> >  106) JoAnn Tschanz, Logan, UT
> >
> > 107) Judy Kurtzman,  Smithfield, UT
> >
> > 108) Joanna Endter-Wada, Logan,  UT
> >
> > 109) Jennifer Belovsky, Nibley, UT

      110)  Pam  Fife, Nibley, UT

      111) Kathy Uhl, N. Logan, UT

     112)  Deana Mobley, Highlands Ranch, CO
     113)  Karen Hazard, Highlands Ranch, CO

      114  Lori Munch,  New Bern,  NC

> > PLEASE COPY this email on to a new  message,
sign the bottom and
> > forward it to everyone on your  distribution
lists. If you receive
this
> > list with more than 300  names on it, please
e-mail a copy of it to:

> > sarabande@brandeis.edu
>  >
> > Even if you decide not to sign, please be
considerate and do  not
kill
> > the petition. Thank you!
> >
> >  Thanks!
> > Judy Rosevear
> >
> > --- Elizabeth  Talmage
> > --- etalmage@earthlink.net
> > ---  EarthLink: It's your Internet.

begin:vcard
n:Hazard;Karen
tel;pager:303-230-0965
tel;work:303-624-0776
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:IT;CIS
version:2.1
email;internet:khazard@uswest.com
title:Project Manager/ Front Door
adr;quoted-printable:;;931 14th Street=0D=0Asuite

520=0D=0A;Denver;CO;;
x-mozilla-cpt:;28096
fn:Karen Hazard
end:vcard

        Next | Inbox   - Choose Folder -[New
Folder]homelesslettersstate
    as attachmentinline text  Download
Attachments

Yahoo! Messenger - Send instant messages to your
online friends.
Address Book · Alerts · Auctions · Bill Pay ·
Bookmarks · Briefcase · Broadcast · Calendar ·
Chat · Classifieds · Clubs · Companion · Experts
·Games · Greetings · Home Pages · Invites · Mail
· Maps · Member Directory · Messenger · My Yahoo!
· News · PayDirect · People Search · Personals ·
Photos · Shopping · Sports · Stock Quotes · TV ·
Travel · Weather · Yahooligans · Yellow Pages ·
more...

Privacy Policy- Terms of Service - Guidelines
Copyright © 1994-2000 Yahoo! Inc. All rights
reserved.