[Hpn] an ARTIST reply

john macpherson nyceguy50@yahoo.com
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 09:33:48 -0800 (PST)

On can artist afford a place to live and show there
work?
From my experience and historically the answer is no
for quite some time. Art unlike most vocations take a
lot of practical experience to develop into a livable
income. We are professionals and must have direct
access to the wealthy through receptions and shows.
The attege "it takes money to make money" is never
more prevalent than through the arts.  A visual artist
must have living space, studio space, and space to
show.
Thanks to the mirrad of art programs for the homeless
and disabled helps tremendously in all three areas.
However it takes a lot of research, time, expense, and
publicity to enter the dozen or so shows, that I am
entering. After five years of practicing, I have some
assisted educational grants and housing, I still have
little opportunity to show and practice due to lack of
funds to produce, show, pay for lavish opening
receptions, or even modest ones. I furthermore suffer
from depressive disorder which makes it hard for me to
be in public places.  However, due to budgetary
cutbacks the availability off competitive funding is
dwindling and yielding less opportunity.  Therefor the
answer to the question is mixed. I do have some
opportunities but its not enough to support myself,
within the next few weeks I will have an art page set
with the organizations that I am associated with
which is promising $$$
Another problem for good artists that are starting is
that the homeless support agencies want you to donate
your work, failing to realize that is part of the
reason that you are homeless.