[Hpn] (no subject)

homey homey@ids.net
Tue, 30 May 2000 23:59:07 -0400

--Boundary_(ID_c9UHfBN8TX02p5npvJSNJA)

Shelter opponents to strategize
By Monte Whaley
Denver Post Staff Writer=20

May 29 - BOULDER - Neighbors opposed to a homeless shelter moving next =
to a middle school are standing their ground, despite a city report =
backing the move.=20

The Boulder Planning Department says putting the Boulder Shelter for the =
Homeless at 777 Broadway - adjacent to Baseline Middle School - is =
appropriate. There are several conditions the shelter must meet before =
approval, however.=20

That includes having shelter staffers meet regularly with neighbors to =
discuss concerns. Also staff members must monitor nearby bus stops to =
make sure the homeless aren't bothering anyone.=20

Laura Wallace, whose daughter attends Baseline, said planners only =
talked about zoning issues in their report. They ignored worries about =
safety and security.=20

"Any of the other issues that we have identified that conflicted with =
the homeless shelter were completely ignored," Wallace said.=20

Parents and neighbors opposed to the shelter will hold a strategy =
session Wednesday before bringing their case to the planning board June =
8. The board may hold another public hearing June 15 and then decide on =
the site.=20

The planning board is an appointed body and usually has the final say on =
most zoning issues. But the City Council can review and overturn board =
decisions.=20

Wallace said she hopes the shelter proposal eventually comes before the =
council. "I think a decision of this magnitude has to be dealt with by =
an elected group and not an appointed one," she said.=20

Shelter Director Bob Mann wants to move the 68-bed facility from its =
current location at 4546 Broadway in north Boulder to the Baseline site. =
There, the shelter will have enough room to double its capacity and =
provide space for agencies to help the homeless re-enter society.=20

"These are all services we can't offer now because we don't have space =
for them," Mann said.=20

But opponents say the shelter shouldn't be near a school. Some shelter =
residents abuse alcohol and drugs and may use the school to hide out, =
putting students in danger, they say.=20

"I'm sure locating a shelter next to a middle school is not the =
brightest idea," Baseline Principal Michael Morris said.=20

The Boulder Valley School District has come out against the relocation.=20

But city planners say the shelter generally fits in with the surrounding =
area. Mann said neighbors eventually get used to having a shelter =
nearby.=20

"Whenever there is a group home or homeless shelter moving into a =
neighborhood, there is always a public outcry," Mann said. "Within a =
couple of years, though, people don't even realize there's an issue =
anymore."=20

--Boundary_(ID_c9UHfBN8TX02p5npvJSNJA)

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Shelter opponents to strategize
<P><FONT color=3D#000000 face=3D"VERDANA, ARIAL, HELVETICA, SANS-SERIF"=20
size=3D-2><B>By </B></FONT><A =
href=3D"mailto:mwhaley@denverpost.com"><FONT=20
color=3D#666666 face=3D"VERDANA, ARIAL, HELVETICA, SANS-SERIF" =
size=3D-2><B><!--BYLINE GOES HERE-->Monte Whaley</B></FONT></A><BR><FONT =

color=3D#000000 face=3D"VERDANA, ARIAL, HELVETICA, SANS-SERIF" =
size=3D-2><B>Denver=20
Post Staff Writer</B></FONT>=20
<P><FONT color=3D#000000 face=3D"VERDANA, ARIAL, HELVETICA, SANS-SERIF" =
size=3D-1><B><!--DATE GOES HERE-->May 29</B></FONT> <FONT =
color=3D#000000=20
face=3DVERDANA size=3D-1>- BOULDER - Neighbors opposed to a homeless =
shelter moving=20
next to a middle school are standing their ground, despite a city report =
backing=20
the move.=20
<P>The Boulder Planning Department says putting the Boulder Shelter for =
the=20
Homeless at 777 Broadway - adjacent to Baseline Middle School - is =
appropriate.=20
There are several conditions the shelter must meet before approval, =
however.=20
<P>That includes having shelter staffers meet regularly with neighbors =
to=20
discuss concerns. Also staff members must monitor nearby bus stops to =
make sure=20
the homeless aren't bothering anyone.=20
<P>Laura Wallace, whose daughter attends Baseline, said planners only =
talked=20
about zoning issues in their report. They ignored worries about safety =
and=20
security.=20
<P>"Any of the other issues that we have identified that conflicted with =
the=20
homeless shelter were completely ignored," Wallace said.=20
<P>Parents and neighbors opposed to the shelter will hold a strategy =
session=20
Wednesday before bringing their case to the planning board June 8. The =
board may=20
hold another public hearing June 15 and then decide on the site.=20
<P>The planning board is an appointed body and usually has the final say =
on most=20
zoning issues. But the City Council can review and overturn board =
decisions.=20
<P>Wallace said she hopes the shelter proposal eventually comes before =
the=20
council. "I think a decision of this magnitude has to be dealt with by =
an=20
elected group and not an appointed one," she said.=20
<P>Shelter Director Bob Mann wants to move the 68-bed facility from its =
current=20
location at 4546 Broadway in north Boulder to the Baseline site. There, =
the=20
shelter will have enough room to double its capacity and provide space =
for=20
agencies to help the homeless re-enter society.=20
<P>"These are all services we can't offer now because we don't have =
space for=20
them," Mann said.=20
<P>But opponents say the shelter shouldn't be near a school. Some =
shelter=20
residents abuse alcohol and drugs and may use the school to hide out, =
putting=20
students in danger, they say.=20
<P>"I'm sure locating a shelter next to a middle school is not the =
brightest=20
idea," Baseline Principal Michael Morris said.=20
<P>The Boulder Valley School District has come out against the =
relocation.=20
<P>But city planners say the shelter generally fits in with the =
surrounding=20
area. Mann said neighbors eventually get used to having a shelter =
nearby.=20
<P>"Whenever there is a group home or homeless shelter moving into a=20
neighborhood, there is always a public outcry," Mann said. "Within a =
couple of=20
years, though, people don't even realize there's an issue anymore."=20
</FONT></P></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_c9UHfBN8TX02p5npvJSNJA)--