[Hpn] one for the activists/Virginia

homey homey@ids.net
Tue, 30 May 2000 23:57:02 -0400

--Boundary_(ID_IspclHB1s4Qf+LxwJHphEg)

Trespassing case dismissed in protest at Yorktown weapons station

=A9 2000, The Virginian-Pilot=20
NEWPORT NEWS -- Two anti-nuclear weapons activists who were arrested =
while climbing a fence at Yorktown Naval Weapons Station were released =
after a federal magistrate refused to let them argue their beliefs.=20

``I'm a little frustrated, but I'm glad to be out,'' Bill Frankl-Streit, =
who along with Steve Baggarly was arrested March 8, said Wednesday after =
U.S. Magistrate James Bradbury dismissed the charges against them. ``I =
was really expecting to be in jail.''=20

The two men came to court facing trespassing charges, which carries up =
to six months in prison upon conviction. They were prepared to argue =
their belief that nuclear weapons, supposedly stored at Yorktown, are =
immoral.=20

But when Baggarly, asked for his plea, said ``I plead for the =
children,'' Bradbury stopped him.=20

``Listen to me very carefully,'' the magistrate said. ``I'm one of the =
good guys. This is a court, not a political forum. ... I'll listen to =
any testimony about your conduct. I will not, however, listen to a =
political polemic.''=20

The prosecutor then proposed dropping the case, and Bradbury agreed.=20

``I was born in 1940,'' Bradbury told the defendants. ``I literally grew =
up with the atomic bomb. You're preaching to the choir when you talk to =
me because I understand the problem. I think the government's motion is =
appropriate. There was no damage done, no harm done.''=20

The two men belong to Catholic Worker, an organization whose members =
advocate nonviolence and voluntary poverty. Baggarly runs and lives in a =
homeless shelter in Norfolk; Frankl-Streit operates a Catholic Worker =
farm in Goochland County.=20

--Boundary_(ID_IspclHB1s4Qf+LxwJHphEg)

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>
<H2>Trespassing case dismissed in protest at Yorktown weapons =
station</H2><FONT=20
face=3D"arial, helvetica" size=3D2><BR>=A9 2000, The Virginian-Pilot =
</FONT>
<P><B>NEWPORT NEWS</B> -- Two anti-nuclear weapons activists who were =
arrested=20
while climbing a fence at Yorktown Naval Weapons Station were released =
after a=20
federal magistrate refused to let them argue their beliefs.=20
<P>``I'm a little frustrated, but I'm glad to be out,'' Bill =
Frankl-Streit, who=20
along with Steve Baggarly was arrested March 8, said Wednesday after =
U.S.=20
Magistrate James Bradbury dismissed the charges against them. ``I was =
really=20
expecting to be in jail.''=20
<P>The two men came to court facing trespassing charges, which carries =
up to six=20
months in prison upon conviction. They were prepared to argue their =
belief that=20
nuclear weapons, supposedly stored at Yorktown, are immoral.=20
<P>But when Baggarly, asked for his plea, said ``I plead for the =
children,''=20
Bradbury stopped him.=20
<P>``Listen to me very carefully,'' the magistrate said. ``I'm one of =
the good=20
guys. This is a court, not a political forum. ... I'll listen to any =
testimony=20
about your conduct. I will not, however, listen to a political =
polemic.''=20
<P>The prosecutor then proposed dropping the case, and Bradbury agreed.=20
<P>``I was born in 1940,'' Bradbury told the defendants. ``I literally =
grew up=20
with the atomic bomb. You're preaching to the choir when you talk to me =
because=20
I understand the problem. I think the government's motion is =
appropriate. There=20
was no damage done, no harm done.''=20
<P>The two men belong to Catholic Worker, an organization whose members =
advocate=20
nonviolence and voluntary poverty. Baggarly runs and lives in a homeless =
shelter=20
in Norfolk; Frankl-Streit operates a Catholic Worker farm in Goochland =
County.=20
<P><BR></P></TD></TR></TABLE></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_IspclHB1s4Qf+LxwJHphEg)--