[Hpn] Re: Save our homes campaign

homey homey@ids.net
Sat, 20 May 2000 11:06:38 -0400

Hi all,

I have been extremely busy. I do have some news for folks. It follows as
below.

Save Our Homes Campaign

A group of tenants, advocates and former/current homeless gathered at the
Governors Stateroom on the subject of affordable housing.

The press conference out lined a ten point plan to save housing that may be
at risk do to expiring use Section 8 contracts within the State of Rhode
Island.  In the next three years there are approximately 40 privately-owned
project based Section 8 programs that are expiring across Rhode Island.  Due
to skyrocketing rents and low vacancy rates these homes are at risk of being
converted to the condiminiums, townhouses and luxury apartments through
owner opt outs, prepayment of existing mortgages and forclosure.

The press event was sponsored byt the National Alliance of HUD Tenants,
People to End Homelessness and the newly formed RI Tenants Union.