[Hpn] NCHomeless Executive Director Position Announcement - Washington DC

Tom Boland wgcp@earthlink.net
Tue, 16 May 2000 13:53:40 -0700 (PDT)

FWD     Please distribute to your networks.

Position Announcement

Executive Director

Mission Statement: The National Coalition for the Homeless  (NCH) is a
national advocacy network of people who have experienced  homelessness,
activists, service providers and others committed to a single  goal. That
goal  our common bond and mission  is to end  homelessness. We take it as a
first principle of practice that people who have  experienced homelessness
must be actively involved in all levels of our work. We  are committed to
creating the systemic and attitudinal changes necessary to end
homelessness. At the same time, we work to meet the urgent needs of persons
who  either are currently homeless or at risk of becoming homeless.

Position Summary: The Executive Director of NCH is  responsible for
providing management of the coalition and carrying out the  policies,
programs and public policy initiatives established by the board of
directors. The position is based in our Washington, DC national
headquarters.  Some travel is required.

Duties:

     * Implement board directives and established programs, including
development of annual work plan and monitoring. *

     * Oversee day-to-day operations of the office and coordination of
board      operations.*

     * Supervise unionized staff.*

     * Function as the principal spokesperson in dealing with public
officials      and the media.*

     * Prepare annual budget in conjunction with board executive
committee.*

     * Represent NCH to other national and local advocacy groups.*

     * Coordinate NCH fund development efforts; including preparing grant
proposals and maintaining relations with both funders and prospective
funders.*

     * Coordinate public policy initiatives, grassroots organizing, and
public      education.*

Demonstrated Skills and Abilities:

     * Supervised a staff, recruited employees, evaluated work, and
maintained      high level of staff retention. *

     * Implemented a team management approach.*

     * Communicated effectively with media in previous work.*

     * Communicated effectively in writing and verbally in previous work. *

     * Managed a grassroots local, state or national advocacy
organization.*

     * Raised funding for a $1 million non-profit organization from diverse
public and private sources. *

     * Successfully demonstrated sound fiscal management. *

     * Implemented and monitored a successful strategic planning effort.*

     * Worked successfully with a diverse volunteer board of directors.*

     * Detail orientated, ability to delegate, good follow-through and
ability      to hold people accountable. *

Qualifications:

     * At least 3  5 years in a position of similar responsibility.*

     * Masters level degree in related field or equivalent experience.*

     * Extensive working knowledge of homeless and housing issues.*

     * Proven ability working with diverse people.*

     * Demonstrated commitment to social justice. *

Hiring Process:

NCH is an equal opportunity employer. People who are homeless and formerly
homeless are encouraged to apply.

Applications are due June 30th by 5 pm EST.  Applications that should
include a letter of interest with salary requirements  and resume can be
mailed to NCH ED Search Committee, 1012 14th  Street, NW, Suite 600,
Washington, DC 20005-3406 or e-mailed to suewatlovp@aol.com. No phone calls
or faxes will be accepted.

Salary range and benefits are competitive with other national homeless and
housing advocacy organizations.

Applicants must be available for a face-to-face interview in Washington, DC
on July 20th. NCH will pay out of town travel expenses.

END FORWARD