[Hpn] Police brutality investigations need Canada-wide focus FWD

Tom Boland wgcp@earthlink.net
Mon, 15 May 2000 20:22:07 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Joy,

Thanks for the positive feedback on the idea of public collaboration on an
"ideal" American Platform 2000 that everyone can contribute to and help
publicize to seek media coverage of important issues and compel their
acceptance by the mainstream politicial candidates for all offices this
election year.

To start this process I have created an American Platform Committee egroups
list at http://www.egroups.com/amplcom to which I am copying this post and
where a few previous ones on this topic are archived for public view at that
site.

My suggestion would be to encourage anyone interested to submit their ideas
to that list and then for some who step forward for this purpose to
gradually refine the ideas in the coming weeks into "American Platform 2000
drafts" which can also be posted at that site by those who will take the
responsiblity as "editors".

I think a good general timeframe would be to see what kind of final drafts
can be created by the end of June so that these can be publicized widely in
the last month or so before the Republican and Democratic National
Conventions.

Obviously it will be extremely difficult for "everyone" who might join in
this project/list to "unanimously agree" on all points that everyone else
might submit for such American Platform 2000.  There may, however, be
numerous points on which everyone would agree.  There may then develop a
"basic" platform and several different "supplementals" to include the
various points and when promoting the idea each issue group activist could
promote the basic and whatever supplemental format they prefer?

The basic idea is to popularize the idea that the "people" themselves in
this election cycle are composing/submitting the issues they think most
important for the candidates to address and those who take up the most
important ones are the only ones who will get elected this year.

For the time being I think the best plan is just to invite anyone interested
to submit their ideas to this egroup list by either forwarding them to a
list member to post to the list as they see fit, or by joining the list and
posting it themselves.  Egroups has many choices of how list members can
receive posts to lists or just view on the web.  I have set up the list so
that members only can post to it but anyone can view messages and files
attached to them.  Currently it is set up so anyone can join the list
without moderator approval, but if it gets out of hand the moderator(s) can
unsub any member.  It is currently set up so that "reply" function sends
replies to the member who posted the idea being replied to, so if the reply
is intended to go to the list members, it (as any posts to list) should be
addressed by list members to amplcom@egroups.com  Any non-list-member posts
to list will just bounce but anyone, list member or not, may view the posts
to the list at list website.  This is how the list is set up as of now and
can be changed as needs be in coming weeks.

To subscribe to the American Platform 2000 egroup list one can send a blank
email to amplcom-subscribe@egroups.com or subscribe at the list website
where posts may also be viewed by anyone
http://www.egroups.com/group/amplcom

I will be abstracting ideas that I favor from posts to that list for
incusion also in the Williams-Peltier Independent US Presidential/VP
Candidacy Platform which will be posted with other info relevant to this
candidacy at its egroup list http://www.egroups.com/group/williams-peltier
but I would prefer others take the initiative on editing American Platform
2000 drafts which I will most likely of course also endorse.  I would also
prefer someone(s) else to take over moderating this American Platform
Committee list as soon as the right folks step forward to do so (also a
"co-chair" team to guide this informal "e-committee" so I can bow out of
that interim function.

So first task would be to publicize the opportunity to submit ideas for
American Platform 2000 to its egroup list, then to identify folks who want
to put some time into the idea by studying the submissions and perhaps
weekly offering compilation drafts to the list for review.  An American
Platform 2000 Committee should be formed in the next couple of weeks who can
use polling functions, chat, etc. of the egroups list to make decisions on
finalizing draft ideas and wordings, etc.

If this idea catches on I suspect it will be an ongoing process into the
Fall and perhaps even after November 2000 elections.  If the list gets
enough support and publicity, the polls of its members could carry some
weight with the media, especially if each of the members indicates they
represent numbers of people in their respective issue groups.

For this reason I strongly suggest that each list member complete the
"member profile" information at egroups site so that other list members can
click to their profiles and see who it is that is posting and about their
interests, groups represented, etc.

Let's see where this idea goes after this posting to you and a few of my
lists.

David Crockett Williams
Interim Chairman, American Platform 2000 Committee
http://www.egroups.com/group/amplcom