[Hpn] Homeless Issues Before the City of Hollywood Florida

Barry Sacharow she_bar@bellsouth.net
Tue, 16 May 2000 01:28:41 -0400

Greetings All,

On Wednesday, May 17, 200 at 5:00 P.M., the City Commission of Hollywood Florida
will consider two issues that relate to homelessness and we need all the support
we can muster. Please come!

The first issue is an attempt to ban solicitations in the right of way. This means
that newspaper vendors and other of our communities poorest citizens will lose
their only means of earning a living. That issue is number 10 and on the 6:00 P.M.
announced schedule.

The second is a technical issue related to fair housing and whether or not
existing Residential Zoning can be applied to some types of permanent and
affordable housing, without use of a "Special Exception". What this means is that
zoning cannot be used to block homeless and other social services housing
locations through the use of zoning and code enforcement.

To those of you with Newspapers and Website, please contact us for additional
information in time for your publication. Please cover!

To everyone else, please show up!! Email first for directions if you would like or
call city hall

Barry Sacharow
President, Free Assembly Resource Fund
Vice Chair, Homeless and Human Service Advisory Board, City Of Hollywood, FL

Sherrie Blisko
Compliance Officer, Helping People in America, Homeless Shelter