[Hpn] KWRU ALERT: Honkala arrested assisting mother in Western PA - FWD

Tom Boland wgcp@earthlink.net
Tue, 09 May 2000 13:18:55 -0700 (PDT)

FWD

FWD  List-Archive: <http://libertynet.org:80/Lists/kwru-announce/List.html>

From: <kwru@libertynet.org>
Subject: [PPEHRC]:Honkala arrested assisting mother in Western Pennsylvania
Date: Tue, 09 May 2000 15:19:53 -0400

BREAKING NEWS UPDATE
Tuesday, May 9, 2000

CHERI HONKALA ARRESTED ASSISTING A MOTHER IN DUQUESNE,
PENNSYLVANIA

At about 2pm today, Cheri Honkala was arrested in a welfare
office in the small town of Duquesne, Pennsylvania, along
with Sandy Kolenda of the Mon Valley Unemployed Committee.
Cheri and Sandy were attempting to ensure that Candice
Wilkins, a mother and leader in the organization Helping
Other People Everyday (HOPE), was not cut off of welfare.
Candice has two special needs children, a four-year-old with
bipolar disorder and a two-year-old with epilepsy, and she
must take care of these kids full-time.  Legally, Candice
should receive an exemption from the work requirement.

Candice had received notice that she would be cut off
welfare this Friday, May 12.  Members of KWRU, many of whom
must struggle with welfare cutoffs in their own lives, tried
to get a determination in writing about whether the welfare
office would give Candice and her children their exemption.
When they refused to leave without getting an answer, the
director of the welfare office called the police.  Eight
police cars and the fire department arrived, and Cheri and
Sandy were arrested.  They will be charged with "some or
all" of the following: criminal trespassing, failure to
disperse, and disorderly conduct.

The KWRU was in Dukaine on day nine of a two-week bus tour
of Pennsylvania, organizing poor communities across the
state for the July 31 March for Economic Human Rights during
the Republican Convention.  We will send updates as more
information becomes available about Cheri's release and
Candice's case.  Check our web page for updates about the
remainder of our New Freedom Bus Tour of Pennsylvania.

---
CONTACT INFO:

Kensington Welfare Rights Union
NUHHCE, ASFCME, AFL-CIO
PO Box 50678
Philadelphia, PA 19132-9720
Phone: 215/203-1945
Fax:   215/203-1950
email: kwru@libertynet.org
web:   http://www.kwru.org

---
Economic Human Rights Campaign updates are distributed via the
"kwru-announce" email list. To subscribe, E-mail to:
<kwru-announce-on@libertynet.org>

END FORWARD