[Hpn] Anti-Poverty Activists plan PROTEST at GOP Convention / KWRU link FWD

Tom Boland wgcp@earthlink.net
Tue, 09 May 2000 13:18:07 -0700 (PDT)

WELFARE ADVOCATES PLAN MARCH ON GOP

CONTACT INFO:

Kensington Welfare Rights Union
NUHHCE, ASFCME, AFL-CIO
PO Box 50678
Philadelphia, PA 19132-9720
Phone: 215/203-1945
Fax:   215/203-1950
email: kwru@libertynet.org
web:   http://www.kwru.org

http://newsfinder.arinet.com/fpweb/fp.dll/$stargeneral/htm/x_dv.htm/_ibyx/cg0302
6/_itox/starnet/_svc/news/_Id/654164760/_k/PmmScNIRa7XMtyS6
FWD  Associated Press - AP Wire Service - May 08, 2000

     WELFARE ADVOCATES PLAN MARCH ON GOP

ERIE, Pa. (AP) _ A welfare rights group toured Erie to recruit
protesters for the Republican National Convention, which begins
July 31 in Philadelphia.

Members of the Kensington Welfare Rights Union toured some of
the northwestern Pennsylvania city's poorest neighborhoods on
Sunday night.

Cheri Honkala, the Philadelphia-based group's director, said
many Pennsylvanians are struggling despite the healthy economy. The
groups members are mostly people who are homeless or who have been
homeless.

``I would think in the governor's hometown we wouldn't see the
type of poverty that is here. It's devastating to see the
dilapidated homes here,'' Honkala said.

Republican Gov. Tom Ridge is from Erie.

Kensington members have been touring Pennsylvania since May 1 to
recruit people for a march at the convention. A group of poor women
formed the organization in 1991 to protest welfare cuts.

``There are going to be 15,000 reporters in Philadelphia. There
is no way we are going to be invisible,'' Honkala said.

Kensington hopes to have 30,000 people in its march and is
organizing transportation to the convention.

``Homelessness is everybody's issue, and it damn well better be
the issue of our next president,'' Honkala said.

Welfare advocates are planning a similar march at the Democratic
convention in Los Angeles.

AP-ES-05-08-00 1212EDT
Received  Id AP10012951F279BB on May 08 2000 11:13

**In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.**