[Hpn] Fwd: 22 homeless dead - vigil Tuesday!

Graeme Bacque gbacque@idirect.com
Sun, 07 May 2000 13:32:20 -0400

------------forwarded message------------
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 13:27:20 -0500
From: dweitz@interlog.com (Don Weitz)
Subject: 22 homeless dead - vigil Tuesday!

Toronto Disaster Relief Committee
Media advisory
May 8, 2000

Twenty-two confirmed deaths
of homeless people since November

TDRC holds vigil Tuesday, May 9, for latest victim
12 noon * Nathan Phillips Square * Toronto City Hall

The death count for Toronto's Homelessness Disaster continues to grow with
the news that a homeless man died on the streets of the Parkdale
neighbourhood on April 30.

The Toronto Disaster Relief Committee and our allies will gather for a
vigil on Tuesday, May 9, at 12 noon at Nathan Phillips Square, Toronto City
Hall. Afterwards the group will go inside to the office of Mayor Mel
Lastman to repeat its demand that the mayor take action to end homelessness.

"Twenty-two citizens of Toronto have died this winter," says Kira Heineck,
Co-ordinator of the TDRC. "In our grief and our anger, we will gather to
remember those who have died and to call on Mayor Mel Lastman, as our
senior elected official, to stop the growing number of deaths."

The warmer weather is not expected to bring relief for the homeless, as the
number of deaths will climb during the spring, summer and fall. In the
short term, the homeless of Toronto need adequate shelters and other
services. Over the medium term, more affordable housing is the only
response to the root causes of homelessness in this city.

For information:
Kira Heineck, TDRC @ 416-703-8482, ext. 411

Housing for all

The One Percent Solution - a national