[Hpn] Fw: [globalization] What I know and see in Peru

Tom Musselwhite hac@efn.org
Thu, 04 May 2000 22:37:59 -0700

--Boundary_(ID_6X4we/hZYs/Hg5m24Yp3Qg)

----- Original Message -----=20
From: instituto de educacion y salud=20
To: Globalization E-Conference=20
Sent: Wednesday, May 03, 2000 1:20 PM
Subject: [globalization] What I know and see in Peru

3rd May 2000 Lima, Peru
=20
Greetings  and salutations to the 1200 + persons subscribed to this =
conference, what a great opportunity to continue the debate and search =
for solutions in respect to the great globalization debate, I must admit =
to feeling a touch sceptical as to the real intentions behind the =
conference. Its a little like attending a conference on democracy and =
transparancy organized by the present Peruvian government.  This  could =
be construed as being unfair . I welcome the chance to share my thoughts =
and fears  and more importantly to learn.
=20
I am Marion Baker , Mother , Wife , Nurse ., Midwife , Development =
Worker and extreamly concerned citizen of the famous "global village". I =
am definitly no expert , I simply recognise a problem when I see and =
live one and if there is one thing that we obviously all know it that " =
we have a problem".   =20
=20
 The first observation I feel that needs to be made is that I see it as =
as  unfair that the main part of this conference appears to be in =
English. If  this conference focuses on development and those countries =
in the process there of, should we not be encouraging their =
participacion ,  here In Latin America , English is definitly not the =
languange in most use , in Africa , most countries work in French and =
Portugese. Of course I understand the logistical dificulties and at =
least the weekly summaries are a attempt to include those who don=B4't =
speak English(lots and lots of people) but this conference (serires of =
conferences I believe ) could be made a lot more effective and very much =
richer by the participacion of the majority in the "developing" world.
=20
Barry Coates from the World Development Movement gave exellent , non =
emotive ,thought provocing presentation . One of the few observations he =
made which I disagree with is that  we know "very little with any degree =
of certainty" . he then goes on to outline for some seven pages just how =
little we know. I suspect the time has come to cease to be modest and =
recognise that we know a lot , the evidence  against  globalization as =
the "high speed elevator to univeral peace and prosperity "is =
overwelming , we should be asking ourself how much proof do we need? , =
how many counties do we leave in ruins , how many deaths and tragedies =
do we need to witness before  we shake ourselves out of the nightmare =
and react?.
=20
Vanessa in the Ukraine speaks of Tanzania, Peru is another shining =
example of just how disastrous the effect of current global economic =
policy can be.  Interantional trade / free trade ,call it what you will =
,has left Peru with very little to call its own. There is virually not =
one wellknown, successfull  , once Peruvian company that is now not =
owned by a Multinational. Each time we buy a soft drink or an icecream =
or a choclate( to name a very few) we can be sure that our money is =
going directly abroard leaving a  very "depressed" local economy. The =
rice growers do not understand why it is cheaper to buy imported rice. =
They just know they can't sell their product and that means that the =
can't feed or educate their families. They just know that they a lot =
POORER=20
=20
Direct Foreign Investment with its mergeres and buyouts have left =
unemployment at an all time high. These big companies do not buy , use =
or  employ locally  The world bank tell us that "poverty is falling =
overall". If this is the case , we need to know where all the poor =
people keep coming from?? , Why then , here in Peru have they needed to =
add two new classes to the poverty scale....... NOT at the good end =
either.=20
=20
We know also , that Capital Market Flows, stockmarkets , shares , buy =
and selling money that seems, in truth to not exist but at the same time =
can a devastating effect?????? financial speculation is arguably soley =
responsible for the market disasters in Asia in recent times and it seem =
to have no end , other that pure profit making , Making money over the =
livelyhoods of others is amoral ,unethical and criminal. The Tobin Tax =
would limit effects of uncontrolled activity considerably  should it be =
adopted.
=20
Economic globilization has NOT reduced the transportation or =
communication costs. Infomation Tecnology has made communication better =
and faster but is still an expensive business , computer and phone bills =
are not getting any cheaper for most people. This very conference would =
not be possible without the marvels of info' tec' . We do not need to =
contine with current ecomonic global policies to continue to benifit =
from the advances in technology. We know this.
=20
We also know that the now highly questioned GDP is not an acurate =
measure of true grown or progess, it lacks greatly and in real terms =
means  nothing. According to David Suzuki  and a great many others the  =
problem with the GDP is that it only adds and never subtracts , it makes =
no distiction between destructive and productive activities. A far more =
real , sustainable indicator has been designed by an organization called =
Redefining Progress. Its called the Genuine Progess Indicator and its =
outlined in David Suzukis book called Earth Time.
=20
We know from the thousands of reports and warning and pleas that the =
global ecosystem can not sustain itself or us under the current climate =
of destruction that global economic policy at very best ignores and at =
worst promotes.
=20
We know that the system is fundamentally flawed . It pays no heed to and =
"externalizes the natural capital and services that keep us alive, =
....it does not value long term social and ecological sustainability , =
and rejects caring ,co-operation and sharing as irrational while =
promoting selfishness"....... .
=20
The evidence is all there, what we don't know is how long its going to =
take us to recognise it and act accordingly. Unlike Thomas from the UNV =
I don't believe that globalization is here to stay. Its was the in =
-vouge answer to the problems of the world, we know that it doesnt work, =
we know how badly it failed and  to a great extent have defined serveral =
alternative models. We  just need to make it happen.
=20
They say the greatest enemey to policies and mandates of economic =
globalization is an informed public. People need to be able to =
understand why their situations are so bad , We need to be informed and =
we need to act together. I feel I should be apologizing for being a =
touch emotive..... I too am a product of the system but I'm NOT GOING =
TO. Its an emotive subject for billiones of the world people.
=20
I will continue to paticipate in this conference with much interest.
=20
Chau
=20
Marion.=20

--Boundary_(ID_6X4we/hZYs/Hg5m24Yp3Qg)

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 =
HTML//EN">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message -----=20
<DIV style=3D"BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; font-color: black"><B>From:</B> <A=20
href=3D"mailto:ies@terra.com.pe" title=3Dies@terra.com.pe>instituto de =
educacion y=20
salud</A> </DIV>
<DIV><B>To:</B> <A href=3D"mailto:globalization@lists.worldbank.org"=20
title=3Dglobalization@lists.worldbank.org>Globalization E-Conference</A> =
</DIV>
<DIV><B>Sent:</B> Wednesday, May 03, 2000 1:20 PM</DIV>
<DIV><B>Subject:</B> [globalization] What I know and see in =
Peru</DIV></DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>3rd May 2000 Lima, Peru</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Greetings&nbsp; and salutations to =
the 1200 +=20
persons subscribed to this conference, what a great opportunity to =
continue the=20
debate and search for solutions in respect to the great globalization =
debate, I=20
must admit to feeling a touch sceptical as to the real intentions behind =
the=20
conference. Its a little like attending a conference on democracy and=20
transparancy organized by the present Peruvian government.&nbsp; =
This&nbsp;=20
could be construed as being unfair . I welcome the chance to share my =
thoughts=20
and fears&nbsp; and more importantly to learn.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>I am Marion Baker , Mother , Wife , =
Nurse .,=20
Midwife , Development Worker and extreamly concerned citizen of the =
famous=20
"global village". I am definitly no expert , I simply recognise a =
problem when I=20
see and live one and if there is one thing that we obviously all know it =
that "=20
we have a problem".&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>&nbsp;The first observation I feel =
that needs to=20
be made is that I see it as as&nbsp; unfair that the main part of this=20
conference appears to be in English. If&nbsp; this conference focuses on =

development and those countries in the process there of, should we not =
be=20
encouraging their participacion ,&nbsp; here In Latin America , English =
is=20
definitly not the languange in most use , in Africa , most countries =
work in=20
French and Portugese. Of course I understand the logistical dificulties =
and at=20
least the weekly summaries are a attempt to include those who don=B4't =
speak=20
English(lots and lots of people) but this conference (serires of =
conferences I=20
believe ) could be made a lot more effective and very much richer by the =

participacion of the majority in the "developing" world.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Barry Coates from the World =
Development Movement=20
gave exellent , non emotive ,thought provocing presentation . One of the =
few=20
observations he made which I disagree with is that&nbsp; we know "very =
little=20
with any degree of certainty" . he then goes on to outline for some =
seven pages=20
just how little we know. I suspect the time has come to cease to be =
modest and=20
recognise that we know a lot , the evidence&nbsp; against&nbsp; =
globalization as=20
the "high speed elevator to univeral peace and prosperity "is =
overwelming , we=20
should be asking ourself how much proof do we need? , how many counties =
do we=20
leave in ruins , how many deaths and tragedies do we need to witness=20
before&nbsp; we shake ourselves out of the nightmare and =
react?.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Vanessa in the Ukraine speaks of =
Tanzania, Peru=20
is another shining example of just how disastrous the effect of current =
global=20
economic policy can be.&nbsp; Interantional trade / free trade ,call it =
what you=20
will ,has left Peru with very little to call its own. There is virually =
not one=20
wellknown, successfull&nbsp; , once Peruvian company that is now not =
owned by a=20
Multinational. Each time we buy a soft drink or an icecream or a =
choclate( to=20
name a very few) we can be sure that our money is going directly abroard =
leaving=20
a&nbsp; very "depressed" local economy. The rice growers do not =
understand why=20
it is cheaper to buy imported rice. They just know they can't sell their =
product=20
and that means that the can't feed or educate their families. They just =
know=20
that they a lot POORER </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Direct Foreign Investment with its =
mergeres and=20
buyouts have left unemployment at an all time high. These big companies =
do not=20
buy , use or&nbsp; employ locally&nbsp; The world bank tell us that =
"poverty is=20
falling overall". If this is the case , we need to know where all the =
poor=20
people keep coming from?? , Why then , here in Peru have they needed to =
add two=20
new classes to the poverty scale....... NOT at the good end=20
either.&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>We know also , that Capital Market =
Flows,=20
stockmarkets , shares , buy and selling money that seems, in truth to =
not exist=20
but at the same time can a devastating effect?????? financial =
speculation is=20
arguably soley responsible for the market disasters in Asia in recent =
times and=20
it seem to have no end , other that pure profit making , Making money =
over the=20
livelyhoods of others is amoral ,unethical and criminal. The =
<U><EM>Tobin Tax=20
</EM></U>would limit effects of uncontrolled activity considerably&nbsp; =
should=20
it be adopted.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Economic globilization has NOT =
reduced the=20
transportation or communication costs. Infomation Tecnology has made=20
communication better and faster but is still an expensive business , =
computer=20
and phone bills are not getting any cheaper for most people. This very=20
conference would not be possible without the marvels of info' tec' . We =
do not=20
need to contine with current ecomonic global policies to continue to =
benifit=20
from the advances in technology. We know this.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>We also know that the now highly =
questioned GDP=20
is not an acurate measure of true grown or progess, it lacks greatly and =
in real=20
terms means&nbsp; nothing. According to David Suzuki&nbsp; and a great =
many=20
others the&nbsp; problem with the GDP is that it only adds and never =
subtracts ,=20
it makes no distiction between destructive and productive activities. A =
far more=20
real , sustainable indicator has been designed by an organization called =

Redefining Progress. Its called the Genuine Progess Indicator and its =
outlined=20
in David Suzukis book called Earth Time.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>We know from the thousands of =
reports and=20
warning and pleas that the global ecosystem can not sustain itself or us =
under=20
the current climate of destruction that global economic policy at very =
best=20
ignores and at worst promotes.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>We know that the system is =
fundamentally flawed=20
. It pays no heed to and "externalizes the natural capital and services =
that=20
keep us alive, ....it does not value long term social and ecological=20
sustainability , and rejects caring ,co-operation and sharing as =
irrational=20
while promoting selfishness"....... .</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>The evidence is all there, what we =
don't know is=20
how long its going to take us to recognise it and act accordingly. =
Unlike Thomas=20
from the UNV I don't believe that globalization is here to stay. Its was =
the in=20
-vouge answer to the problems of the world, we know that it doesnt work, =
we know=20
how badly it failed and&nbsp; to a great extent have defined serveral=20
alternative models. We&nbsp; just need to make it happen.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>They say the greatest enemey to =
policies and=20
mandates of economic globalization is an informed public. People need to =
be able=20
to understand why their situations are so bad , We need to be informed =
and we=20
need to act together. I feel I should be apologizing for being a touch=20
emotive..... I too am a product of the system but I'm NOT GOING TO. Its =
an=20
emotive subject for billiones of the world people.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>I will continue to paticipate in =
this conference=20
with much interest.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Chau</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 =
size=3D2>Marion.&nbsp;</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_6X4we/hZYs/Hg5m24Yp3Qg)--