[Hpn] News from Kreuzberg

Anitra Freeman anitra@speakeasy.org
Tue, 02 May 2000 19:49:10 -0700 (PDT)

[forward from a local StreetWrites member]

Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 22:03:37 -0400 (EDT)
From: Koa raveta <koa@usa.com>

To my friends:

I found out three hours ago from a phone call from Dave in Atlanta that my
friend Evelyn from Zurich, Switzerland, was beaten and killed in Kreuzberg,
a giant-sized version of Seattle's Capitol Hill area, in Berlin Germany.
Evelyn and her boyfriend went to Kreuzberg to rally against capitalism and
imperialism and to stand off Volksfront skinheads, meeting with anarchists
and punks from France, Germany, Switzerland and Italy.  There were about
10,000 anarchists, anti-racist skinheads, and punks there.  They had a
standoff with about 7,000 Nazis and their supporters.  The riot lasted about
15 hours, and about 300 police were either injured or hospitalized.  This
has made very little news in the United States, but ther was a dinky little
articl in today's Seattle Times, section A-14, that (to be expected) did not
give an accurate description of what happened there.

Evelyn was very politically active in the Swiss punk scene and I will miss
her deeply.  I am very distraught.  This hasn't completely hit me yet.  I am
apologizing ahead of time if you don't see me for a few days or if I am not
in the best of spirits when you do see me.  This is the second very close
friend I have lost in three months.

Love @ Rage, Bruce

[end forward]