[Hpn] Stories from Tent City

Anitra Freeman anitra@speakeasy.org
Sun, 30 Apr 2000 19:57:19 -0700 (PDT)

Cowboy and Falcon from Tent City are here at Real Change with me
tonight.  They just talked over Studios X radio (you can download the
show from the Studio X archives at http://www.microradio.net/ if you
have RealPlayer.)

I asked them to stick around to report some of the stories that didn't
get on the radio.

Like the account of the police officer Lt. Waylins (unknown spelling)
who told Cowboy, at the Colman School site, "The first people to be
arrested will be you and Scott [Morrow]."  Another member of the Tents
stepped up and said, "Arrest me too." Then another.  And another.
Everyone pulled together in a circle.  The officer left in
embarrassment.

After being forced to leave the Colman School property, the tents moved
to a church at S. Dakota and MLK Way.  Again, the City threatened the
church with fines if they did not evict the campers.  The campers then
moved from the church lot to the sidewalk.  All Saints Episcopelian
Church, which already hosts a SHARE indoor shelter, then offerred the
use of their parking lot for one week.  Last night they extended the
offer for one more week.

Pat, the pastor of All Saints, has talked to the Bishop of St. Marks --
where Mayor Schell attends -- asking him to address the Mayor's
conscience.

Falcon sends a message: "We all have to stick together to survive, and
not let City officials [or any officials] break our spirits."

Cowboy says: "Don't let the chain of love end with us."

Write On! / Anitra L. Freeman / http://www.speakeasy.org/~anitra/
"Never doubt that a small group of imperfect people can improve the
world--indeed they are the only ones who ever have." Not Margaret Mead