[Hpn] Kicking it at the Washington Shoe building

unclescam unclescam@buskers.org
Sun, 30 Apr 2000 19:43:31 -0400

wow......
     a question or two. how many artists were in this building for how
long ? commercial artists or real ones ? i've been involved with several
loft/industrial buildings and was always under the impression that real
artists start the squat, commercial artists jump at the cachet and ruin it
for the rest by yupping the joint into being noticed as a viable rental
site. this drives out the original "squatters" either thru higher rents or
the closing of the building for renovations the commercials can afford. is
this the occurance here ?
      a third, has to do with the homelessness of the artists. are there
now homeless artists due to this eviction or did they all find places to
be themselves and just lose studio space?