[Hpn] Homelessness in relation to "space" and "place" - request for help

icanamerica icanamerica@email.msn.com
Thu, 22 Jun 2000 06:22:30 -0500

Please respond directly to  "Seamus O'Sullivan" <tsos@earthlink.net>
----------------
Seamus wrote:

I'm new to this list and I have a request I'd like to make of list
members. I'm a Ph.D. student at the University of New Mexico. My
research area is contemporary homelessness and my approaches have been
largely sociological and historical infused by critical cultural theory.
I've also worked in the field of non-profit homeless services for about
15 years. My dissertation research is increasingly taking me in the
direction of social geography, an area in which I claim no expertise.
I'm hoping some of you might be able to help me with appropriate
literature.

I have two primary research questions: How do homeless people create a
sense of "homespace" when they lack stable and secure housing? Secondly,
how do people with little of the private space we call "home" use public
space? These questions, of course, need to be contextualized within
urban spaces that have become increasingly privatized and oppressive in
recent years.

I am familiarizing myself with some of the literature of both space and
place, including works by  Edward Soja, David Harvey, Henri Lefebvre,
Gaston Bachelard, Neil Smith, John Gulick and Paul Groth. Can anyone
suggest some specific books or articles by these or any other authors?
If you'd like more information, please feel free to contact me off list.
Many thanks.

Seamus O'Sullivan

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
/////////////////////////////////////////////

Seamus O'Sullivan
Albuquerque, New Mexico
505.345.4396

posted by:
H. C. {Sonny} Covington
I CAN! America,  LLC
Strategic Thinking, Capacity Building, and
Continuum of Care Resource Development
1.800.678.5774  Fax 505.209.2619
icanamerica@email.com
http://icanamerica.intranets.com