[Hpn] shelter closing spokane

homey homey@ids.net
Sun, 18 Jun 2000 22:26:30 -0400

--Boundary_(ID_9v9vPyDXTbgHgVgTGqJqFQ)

Shelter plans to close doors
Group lacks funding to pay staff

Jonathan Martin - Staff writer

The Downtown Women's Shelter plans to close its doors to the homeless =
Friday morning.

The nonprofit organization -- which operates a 21-bed emergency shelter =
and 19 apartment units -- is too broke to pay its staff, said Lynn =
Everson, board president for the Coalition for Women on the Street.

The shelter issued a last-minute plea for community assistance late =
Tuesday, requesting $4,000 to remain open until July 1. That would give =
the shelter staff enough time to find other housing for the apartment =
tenants.

The organization is also looking for a small, cheaper site for its =
emergency shelter. Board member Michael Yates said the organization =
hoped to find sites with showers and kitchen facilities, and is scouting =
locations on the east side of downtown Spokane.

Community donations that filled the shelter at 111 W. Third will be =
stored until another site is found and the shelter is reopened, Everson =
said.

Other donations that furnished the apartments will be given to the =
residents. "Our goal is to let the women take those items with them, so =
it's not as traumatic as it could be," Everson said.

The shelter opened a year ago in an effort to safely shelter homeless =
street women, who had been targeted by Spokane's serial killer.

A financial crisis emerged in April, when the shelter's rent doubled to =
$10,000 per month. Shelter staffers were unable to secure private or =
public grants.

"We've hopefully learned from our mistakes," said Yates, a Spokane =
police sergeant. "We have every intention of not letting this die."

-------

 =20

What are your thoughts on
Shelter plans to close doors

--Boundary_(ID_9v9vPyDXTbgHgVgTGqJqFQ)

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>
<P><B><FONT size=3D4>Shelter plans to close doors</FONT></B><BR>Group =
lacks=20
funding to pay staff<BR></P>
<P><FONT size=3D1><A=20
href=3D"http://www.spokane.net/covers/people/staff.asp?ID=3Dbio160"=20
target=3D_top>Jonathan Martin</A> - Staff writer</FONT></P>
<P></P>
<P>The Downtown Women's Shelter plans to close its doors to the homeless =
Friday=20
morning.</P>
<P>
<P>The nonprofit organization -- which operates a 21-bed emergency =
shelter and=20
19 apartment units -- is too broke to pay its staff, said Lynn Everson, =
board=20
president for the Coalition for Women on the Street.</P>
<P>
<P>The shelter issued a last-minute plea for community assistance late =
Tuesday,=20
requesting $4,000 to remain open until July 1. That would give the =
shelter staff=20
enough time to find other housing for the apartment tenants.</P>
<P>
<P>The organization is also looking for a small, cheaper site for its =
emergency=20
shelter. Board member Michael Yates said the organization hoped to find =
sites=20
with showers and kitchen facilities, and is scouting locations on the =
east side=20
of downtown Spokane.</P>
<P>
<P>Community donations that filled the shelter at 111 W. Third will be =
stored=20
until another site is found and the shelter is reopened, Everson =
said.</P>
<P>
<P>Other donations that furnished the apartments will be given to the =
residents.=20
"Our goal is to let the women take those items with them, so it's not as =

traumatic as it could be," Everson said.</P>
<P>
<P>The shelter opened a year ago in an effort to safely shelter homeless =
street=20
women, who had been targeted by Spokane's serial killer.</P>
<P>
<P>A financial crisis emerged in April, when the shelter's rent doubled =
to=20
$10,000 per month. Shelter staffers were unable to secure private or =
public=20
grants.</P>
<P>
<P>"We've hopefully learned from our mistakes," said Yates, a Spokane =
police=20
sergeant. "We have every intention of not letting this die."</P>
<P>
<P></P>
<HR>

<P><A name=3Dreply>
<FORM action=3D/interact/process.asp method=3Dpost><INPUT name=3Dfile =
type=3Dhidden=20
value=3Dstories> <INPUT name=3Dredirect type=3Dhidden =
value=3D/interact/stories.asp>=20
<H3>What are your thoughts on<BR><I>Shelter plans to close=20
doors</I></H3></FORM></A></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_9v9vPyDXTbgHgVgTGqJqFQ)--