[Hpn] Fw: The Weekly Standard Magazine

Bill Tinker wtinker@fcgnetworks.net
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 16:47:23 -0400

Tom,
I am going to let you handle this one!
I think he went abit over by going to my ISP since I pay them not him!And I
did not spam ..so what is his gripe about ?
And so if he is not wanting to read The Weekly Standard Magazine article he
could have deleted it period.
I think this is rather a means of his way of attempting revenge for my
stating along with coh@sfo.com for him to stop whining..after all we are
supposed to be advocating for the betterment of our brothers and sisters not
standing on their heads while they a down and out!Its almost too obivious
what he is attempting here..I respect you Tom,and HPN so please tell me what
you want to do?Thanks brother!
Also was he not the one running with gossip that Homeless Peoples Network
was dead or no more?
 A Brother
 Bill

REMOVE
> > YOU FROM THE LIST !!!
> >

> > At 06:59 PM 6/12/00 -0400, you wrote:
> > >The Weekly Standard Magazine
> > >

> > >        Feature  June 19, 2000/Vol 5, Number 38
> > >            Sanctimonious Slumlord
> > >            Al Gore's treatment of his Tennessee tenants gives new
> meaning
> > >to "compassionate liberalism".
> > >            By Matt Labash
> > >
> > >            "There is a difference between talking about compassion and
> > >actually putting your highest ideals into practice."
> > >

> > >            -Vice President Al Gore, December 2, 1998
> > >
> > >            Carthage, Tennessee
> > >
> > >            If Tracy Mayberry's life were a country song, it wouldn't
be
> > >sung by the ersatz Hat Acts or New Country bunnies currently infesting
> the
> > >airwaves. It would be sung by the old cast of Hee Haw, who, for all
their
> > >hokum, exhibited a certain genius for tear-in-your-beer lamentations
with
> > >"Gloom, Despair and Agony On Me." The song's most poignant lyric went:
> "If
> > >it weren't for bad luck, / I'd have no luck at all." For as long as she
> can
> > >remember, that's the only luck Tracy Mayberry has known.
> > >
> > >            Now 36 years old, Tracy was unlucky at 13, when she married
> her
> > >first husband who beat her, then left her after she slugged him in the
> eye.
> > >By the age of 16, she'd met her current husband, Charles. A
second-grade
> > >dropout, he hasn't had much luck either. Together, they started an
> unlucky
> > >family. Charles brought along four kids from a previous marriage. They
> had
> > >two of their own, then adopted two more-the unlucky offspring of more
> > >unlucky parents. The five kids currently living in their house suffer
> every
> > >malady from retardation to epileptic seizures. But luckily for the
> > >Mayberrys, they get $1,536 in monthly disability checks. It's the only
> money
> > >coming in, as 51-year-old Charles, a tobacco and timber cutter, is
unable
> > >ply his trade since suffering congestive heart failure five years ago.
> > >Herself a tobacco cutter, Tracy is also unable to work since her
diabetic
> > >stroke. While she's without a vocation (or welfare or food stamps,
which
> > >she's too proud to take), she has a new hobby: injecting herself in the
> > >stomach with two shots of insulin every day.
> > >
> > >            It might seem the Mayberrys' luck couldn't turn any worse.
It
> [...]
> > >her luck turned for the worse-she discovered her new landlord was Vice
> > >President Al Gore.
> > >
> > >            Not that Gore was meddlesome. Though Tracy makes her checks
> out
> > >directly to "Al Gore," and while the Mayberrys' house sits only 150
yards
> or
> > >so from that of Carthage's Washington, D.C.-bred native son, Gore has
> been
> > >extremely hands off. So hands off, in fact, that when Tracy complained
> > >Gore's property managers that the plaster was coming off the walls, the
> > >linoleum was peeling off the kitchen floor, the basin of the bathroom
> sink
> > >was a constipated sludge puddle, the guts of one toilet tank had to be
> held
> > >together with Sunbeam bread bag twisties, and both bathroom toilets
> > >overflowed-when they flushed at all-(making the whole house smell, in
> > >Charles's formulation, "like sheee-it"), the managers managed not to
fix
> > >anything at all.
> > >
> > >            Over the course of a year, Mayberry says she complained
some
> 30
> > >times to Gore's property managers, Charles and Audrey Elrod, a husband
> and
> > >wife team who have been in the employ of the Gore family (going back to
> Al's
> > >late father) for 12 years. The Elrods aren't some sort of distant
> managerial
> > >subcontractor. They actually live on the acreage of Pauline Gore, Al's
> > >mother. Audrey manages the staff of what Tracy's kids call "The Pink
> > >Mansion," Pauline's house on the hill across the Caney Fork River, a
view
> of
> > >which the Mayberrys enjoy when they pop an Icehouse beer and kick back
> next
> > >to the belching duct-taped air-conditioning window unit on their front
> > >porch.
> > >
> > >            Tracy hadn't had much luck getting any response from Gore
> > >entities, but last month, when the Post Office delivered a notice
saying
> she
> > >had a registered letter from Al Gore, she thought she might have caught
> > >break. After all, it wouldn't seem too tall an order for the second
most
> > >powerful man in the world to make sure the Mayberrys' toilets flushed
> > >properly. He could probably even get a good deal on parts, since his
wife
> > >Tipper was a shareholder in her father's plumbing supplies business (an
> > >asset that Gore's 1998 financial disclosure report valued at between
> > >$100,000 and $250,000).
> > >
> > >            But when Tracy went to pick up the letter, it wasn't
actually
> > >from Gore. It was an eviction notice from Audrey, written on Gore
Realty
> [...]
> Audrey
> > >now backs away from. "Oh, that was just something I came up with," she
> says.
> > >"[The Gores] never said nothing about that."
> > >
> > >            True to form, Al Gore never said anything at all-at least
not
> > >until Tracy Mayberry called Nashville's NewsChannel 5 on June 2, to
give
> > >them a tour of the dilapidated house from which "slumlord" Gore was
> evicting
> > >her. The next day, Tracy received a call from the force behind Gore
> Reality,
> > >the vice president himself. He apologized profusely, telling Mayberry
> he'd
> > >known nothing about the problems. To make it up to her, and to defuse
> media
> > >interest, he promised to have the place repaired, to charge her no rent
> > >until it was, to drop the eviction, and even to put the Mayberry family
> up
> > >somewhere while the renovations were underway if they so desired. By
the
> end
> > >of the conversation, they were even talking dinner invites, with Tracy
> > >promising to make fried chicken, cornbread, and a peach cobbler. (She
may
> > >have gotten carried away-when I ask if she'd really like to have Gore
> over
> > >for dinner, she says, "No. . . . He invited himself, I didn't invite
him.
> > >really don't care if I meet him or not.")
> > >
> > >            As damage control goes, Gore's strategy largely worked. The
> > >Mayberry story was nearly over before it began. Network newscasts
ignored
> > >it. Most major papers ran wire copy. So did the Nashville Tennessean,
> where
> > >Gore once worked as a reporter, and whose Goreophile editor, Frank
> > >Sutherland, has appeared in a Gore campaign video.
> > >
> > >            If it were possible for Dickens to mount a comeback and
this
> > >time go Southern Gothic, a stop by the Mayberry homestead would give
him
> > >good leg up on source material. The house sits a mere chaw-hock from
the
> > >Gores', and is nearly as close to the Golden Nugget Lounge, a kicker
bar
> > >that promises karaoke and one-dollar longnecks for the ladies. Around
the
> > >perimeter of the Mayberrys' medium-sized yard is a barbed-wire cattle
> fence,
> > >a gentle reminder to their children not to wander off onto the Gore
> property
> > >where they could get intercepted by Secret Service agents or
electrocuted
> on
> > >another interior fence. Like most rural southern settings, the
Mayberrys'
> [...]
damage.
> The
> > >paint in some places is mismatched, but it wouldn't make much
difference
> if
> > >it were uniform, as it bears enough scuff marks to look like the inside
> of a
> > >handball court. A red-faced, sweaty Plumber Bob goes to town in the
> > >bathrooms, snaking and plunging, and dodging a chirpy local television
> > >reporter who wants to know if she can get some footage of Tracy
"talking
> > >around the toilet."
> > >
> > >            As we huddle inside the house, we hear the chopping of
> > >helicopter blades. "Momma, it's Al Gore!" exclaims Anna. We all pile
out
> > >into the yard, tending to believe Anna, since one doesn't see much
> > >helicopter traffic in Carthage-there aren't many places to land, what
> with
> > >all the Kissing Dutch Children lawn ornaments. The helicopter hovers,
> then
> > >disappears without revealing its passenger, but it is clearly not Al
> Gore.
> > >At the moment, he is in New York, promoting his "family agenda" at a
> > >$15,000-per-year Upper East Side preschool. He gets help from Rosie
> > >O'Donnell, who tells the assembly, "I'm very fortunate that I am very,
> very
> > >rich."
> > >
> > >            Soon after the false alarm, Plumber Bob and Elrod, who
looks
> as
> > >if he coifs his hair with high-viscosity motor oil, haul one of the
> > >perpetually clogged toilets out into the yard. They leave a trail of
> water
> > >throughout the house that they don't bother swabbing up. While Plumber
> Bob
> > >goes after the toilet with sharp objects and a garden hose, an ugly
thing
> > >happens. I'm standing in the front yard talking to Gore's man on the
> scene,
> > >and he begins casting aspersions on the Mayberrys. Says Elrod: "I've
been
> > >aggravated to death. . . . They trashed the house. . . . When they
moved
> in
> > >. . . it was completely new inside and out." While Elrod says Gore
> > >operatives told him that "we're supposed to be nice," he later claims
he
> > >even told Tipper Gore -"I think it was in an e-mail"-that the Mayberrys
> were
> > >responsible for the disrepair. (A Tipper Gore spokesperson says she's
> heard
> > >no such thing.)
> > >
> > >            Elrod goes on to suggest that 14 people are living in the
> house,
> > >though only 7 do. He says the toilets have not been cleaned, though
Tracy
> > >tells me she cleans her bowls at least once a week, and I spot cleaning
> > >bleach in her bathroom. He suggests that the disrepair of the walls is
> their
> > >fault, though the peeling plaster, for instance, is higher than any of
> the
> > >children's natural reach, and young Jordan would have had to launch a
> > >shotput to cause the cracks in the ceiling. Elrod even expresses regret
> that
> > >they weren't evicted: "I think it would be in their best interest to
find
> > >another place to move."
> > >
> > >            It exhausts credulity to believe that the Elrods, Al Gore's
> > >property managers of 12 years, are speaking autonomously in this
> potentially
> > >incendiary situation, even as Gore apologizes and makes restitution.
> Letting
> > >surrogates attack, after all, is a familiar Gore campaign strategy.
Gore
> > >also has a political interest in appearing not to know anything about
his
> > >own rental property, particularly since Tracy Mayberry says the Elrods
> told
> > >her no repairs could be made without Gore's consent. She says that she
> > >implored the Elrods, on no less than five occasions, to contact Gore
> > >directly. And a few months ago, she says, she even went so far as to
call
> > >the vice president's Carthage office to complain. (She was referred
right
> > >back to Gore's property managers.) Still, one might be tempted to give
> Gore
> > >the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps he has no time for such minutiae, as
he
> > >busies himself speechifying about compassion.
> > >
> > >            But when I tell Tracy Mayberry what Gore's surrogates are
> > >saying, she is no longer prepared to accept his pleas of ignorance.
> > >
> > >            "Boy that makes me mad," she says. "All I ask for is to get
> my
> > >house fixed, and they start attackin' me, sayin' I'm nasty. . . . You
> know
> > >[Gore] has to know something about it. ...I don't have to put up with
it
> and
> > >I'm not going to."
> > >
> > >            A day after visiting Tracy, I call for a progress report on
> the
> > >repairs. The first time her husband flushed the toilet, she says, it
> seeped
> > >water all over the floor. And, she says, the linoleum guys
inadvertently
> > >created two big dents in her kitchen floor by failing to patch up holes
> > >before they laid the new covering. Tracy Mayberry has given up hope of
> > >getting lucky enough ever to see her house repaired. So she's made
> another
> > >plan. "I'm packin' my stuff up," she says, "and they can take this
house
> and
> > >go to hell with it."
> > >
> > >            In a couple of days, Mayberry says, she will drop her
> children
> > >off at her mother's trailer, while she and her husband sleep in their
> truck.
> > >When they receive their disability checks on the first of the month,
> they'll
> > >begin looking for a new place to live. "We ain't got the money for
motels
> > >right now," she says matter-of-factly.
> > >
> > >            As for Gore, he might not want to count on Tracy's vote in
> > >November, or even on a taste of that cornbread and peach cobbler. "The
> way I
> > >consider it," she says, "Gore can kiss my ass."
> > >

> > >            by Matt Labash
> > >

> > >      || HOME || MAGAZINE | SUBSCRIBE | ABOUT US | SERVICES |
ADVERTISING

http://weeklystandard.com/images/2nd_nav_about_off.gif