[Hpn] Toronto Has More homeless than New York

Grassroots Media Network rootmedia@mail.com
Mon, 12 Jun 2000 09:18:12 -0500

Monday, June 12, 2000  The Toronto Sun

Stats whack T.O.
More homeless than New York

By CP

When it comes to homelessness, new stats show Toronto is taking a bite out
of the Big Apple's bad reputation.

In fact, officials now say more homeless people per capita are sleeping on
the streets and in the shelters of Toronto than in several major U.S. cities.

The statistics show that homelessness in Canada's largest urban centre is
comparable to levels in New York City, long considered the homeless capital
of North America.

"I am sad to say this is what we predicted," said Councillor Jack Layton,
chairman of Toronto's homelessness committee.

About 75,000 people used municipal shelters last year in the Big Apple, an
analysis of data provided by the city reveals. By contrast, 28,800 people
used emergency shelters in Toronto in 1998, the city's current Report Card
on Homelessness shows.

Once population differences are taken into account, the percentage of
people in Toronto using shelters is actually 15.8% higher than in New York.

====================================
The Grassroots Media Network
1602 Chatham St
Austin, TX 78723
rootmedia@mail.com
http://www.crosswinds.net/~rootmedia/
http://www.crosswinds.net/~rootmedia/Queer
http://www.koop.org/stonewall/
stonewallday@egroups.com

We are:
Grassroots News Network, Queer News Network, Latino News Exchange,
Wmyn's News Service, Enviro News Service, Worker's News Service,
Grassroots Film & Video Collective, and Theoretical Ammo Arts Brigade,

To recieve daily news articles please respond to this post with the
following command in the subject line.

"add me to general news (for general news)"
"add me to queer news  (for queer news)"
"add me to latino news (for latino news)"
"add me to wmyn news (for women's international news)"
"add me to enviro news (for international environmental news)"
"add me to labor news (for labor and union issues)"
"add me to local news (for austin and texas news)"

(WARNING - HIGH TRAFFIC LISTS)