[Hpn] Toronto's Shame

Graeme Bacque gbacque@idirect.com
Mon, 12 Jun 2000 05:36:29 -0400

Monday, June 12, 2000  The Toronto Sun

Stats whack T.O.
More homeless than New York

By CP

When it comes to homelessness, new stats show Toronto is taking a bite out
of the Big Apple's bad reputation.

In fact, officials now say more homeless people per capita are sleeping on
the streets and in the shelters of Toronto than in several major U.S. cities.

The statistics show that homelessness in Canada's largest urban centre is
comparable to levels in New York City, long considered the homeless capital
of North America.

"I am sad to say this is what we predicted," said Councillor Jack Layton,
chairman of Toronto's homelessness committee.

About 75,000 people used municipal shelters last year in the Big Apple, an
analysis of data provided by the city reveals. By contrast, 28,800 people
used emergency shelters in Toronto in 1998, the city's current Report Card
on Homelessness shows.

Once population differences are taken into account, the percentage of
people in Toronto using shelters is actually 15.8% higher than in New York.