[Hpn] Please S T O P ** W-H-I-N-I-N-G ** !!!!!

Sandy Andrews sandra@asu.edu
Wed, 07 Jun 2000 12:46:37 -0700 (MST)

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to say that actually...if we are going to be able to
communicate online...as the person who is the technical coordinator for
this list, I would appreciate it if people left off the attachments.

Large attachments can slow the list to a crawl. See, when a huge
attachment comes in, the software automatically moves it to an area where
it has to be manually resent by Tom. Alas, really big attachments fill up
this area and generate all kinds of error messages. This does not bring
the list down but it does mean more work.

I don't think many on this list are using MS Outlook, the corporate
software that is most likely to send viruses. Still, attachments are the
way that viruses are usually transmitted.

And...many of us use email programs that are lowkey and lowtech. If you
use the free Arizona email program, Aztec, for example, attachments have
to be manually saved and uploaded and then downloaded to view them. So this
is a pain and most users just avoid the whole thing..

Personally I'd like it a lot if we could go easy on the server (avoiding
large attachments) and if we could also remember the lowest-end users.
Access for all!!

Sandy