[Hpn] encouraging story from the UK

spitts spitts@freenetname.co.uk
Tue, 6 Jun 2000 13:33:10 +0100

------=_NextPart_000_002D_01BFCFBB.C17A1260

I just thought it might be good to post a success story here. God knows =
we all need some encouragement from time to time. Here in the Portsmouth =
in the UK, we run a computer training scheme for homeless men and women. =
The project was set up 6 months ago to offer qualifications to help folk =
get back into work, the project has now realised the amazing potential =
in raising feelings of self-worth. I have tried to find research on the =
subject of how using a computer can affect individuals but there doesn't =
seem to be much work done in this area. It would be fantastic if any of =
you reading this could let me know of any research or how access to a =
computer has made a difference to your lives.=20

Anyway, here is Henry's story. This story is about just one person who =
has decided that he wants to share about his growing self-esteem. Henry =
is 24 years old. He is short in stature and has a speech impediment. He =
lived with his Mother & Stepfather in the north of England, but his new =
stepfather took his money to go drinking and didn't treat Henry well. =
Henry left home and went to a hostel in Sheffield. He didn't fit in at =
the hostel and was often badly treated by the other residents because, =
being short with an unusual voice he was an easy victim. Henry moved on =
to other hostels in other towns and found similar treatment in =
Edinburgh, then Glasgow, and Bristol, before finally coming to St Petroc =
in Portsmouth. Henry is progressing well now through the staging =
programme. He is on stage 2 and shortly hopes to move on to stage 3. St =
Petroc has arranged speech therapy, new glasses and help with dealing =
with bullying. Now a regular at SPITTS (St Petroc IT Training Scheme), =
Henry has completed a RSA CLAIT, course, is doing well on the ECDL and =
NVQ courses, and is booked for a fulltime computer course starting in =
September. All the staff agrees that Henry has enjoyed a tremendous rise =
in self-confidence and is happier with life. In his own words, "I have a =
future now".

Brian Sheath
www.spitts.co.uk=20

------=_NextPart_000_002D_01BFCFBB.C17A1260

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D4>
<P>I just thought it might be good to post a success story here. God =
knows we=20
all need some encouragement from time to time. Here in the Portsmouth in =
the UK,=20
we run a computer training scheme for homeless men and women. The =
project was=20
set up 6 months ago to offer qualifications to help folk get back into =
work, the=20
project has now realised the amazing potential in raising feelings of=20
self-worth. I have tried to find research on the subject of how using a =
computer=20
can affect individuals but there doesn&#8217;t seem to be much work done =
in this area.=20
It would be fantastic if any of you reading this could let me know of =
any=20
research or how access to a computer has made a difference to your =
lives.=20
</P></FONT><FONT face=3DArial size=3D4>
<P>Anyway, here is Henry&#8217;s story. This story is about just one =
person who has=20
decided that he wants to share about his growing self-esteem. Henry is =
24 years=20
old. He is short in stature and has a speech impediment. He lived with =
his=20
Mother &amp; Stepfather in the north of England, but his new stepfather =
took his=20
money to go drinking and didn&#8217;t treat Henry well. Henry left home =
and went to a=20
hostel in Sheffield. He didn&#8217;t fit in at the hostel and was often =
badly treated=20
by the other residents because, being short with an unusual voice he was =
an easy=20
victim. Henry moved on to other hostels in other towns and found similar =

treatment in Edinburgh, then Glasgow, and Bristol, before finally coming =
to St=20
Petroc in Portsmouth. Henry is progressing well now through the staging=20
programme. He is on stage 2 and shortly hopes to move on to stage 3. St =
Petroc=20
has arranged speech therapy, new glasses and help with dealing with =
bullying.=20
Now a regular at SPITTS (St Petroc IT Training Scheme), Henry has =
completed a=20
RSA CLAIT, course, is doing well on the ECDL and NVQ courses, and is =
booked for=20
a fulltime computer course starting in September. All the staff agrees =
that=20
Henry has enjoyed a tremendous rise in self-confidence and is happier =
with life.=20
In his own words, "I have a future now".</P></FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><FONT size=3D4>Brian =
Sheath</FONT><BR><FONT size=3D5><A=20
href=3D"http://www.spitts.co.uk">www.spitts.co.uk</A>=20
</FONT></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_002D_01BFCFBB.C17A1260--