[Hpn] New Website: http://lantlant.tripod.com/

Anitra Freeman anitra@speakeasy.org
Sat, 29 Jul 2000 15:37:02 -0700 (PDT)

"Another Way to Help the Homeless" is a new website developed by Laura
Anthony, a teacher in elementary school and special education, promoting
"Individual Advocacy" -- taking responsibility for affecting public
policy on homelessness, but more importantly, establishing relationships
with individual homeless people.

Quotes from her website:

"Simply listening empathetically and intently to the individual can make
a huge difference in how the individual perceives herself/himself."
"Treating the homeless [person] nonjudgmentally and with respect is a
good place to begin building a relationship."
"It takes time for a relationship based on trust to develop. Respect
each person's boundaries and ways of relating."
"A homeless person just wants to be recognized, not ignored. Just making
eye contact, smiling or saying hello makes such a difference.
Acknowledging one's humanity is one small yet easy way to help the
homeless."

This looks to me like a person to be encouraged.

Write On! / Anitra L. Freeman / http://www.speakeasy.org/~anitra/
"We can't help everyone.  We can't fix everything.  It hurts.
 But it is better to live with pain than to live without caring."