[Hpn] Fwd: [BRC-NEWS] Ralph Nader's Speech to the NAACP

Coalition on Homelessness, SF coh@sfo.com
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 16:27:19 -0700

Homeless gather for silent vigil following overdose death - SE Locals Out
Source: AP - AP Wire Service
Jul 13 06:04

SEATTLE (AP) _ About a dozen women dressed in black held a silent vigil to
remember a homeless man who died of an apparent drug overdose.

The hour-long vigil for Herlie Ray Coker Jr., 43, at the Washington War
Memorial Plaza outside the Public Safety Building was the second organized
by the homeless
advocacy group SHARE-WHEEL.

Last week the group held a vigil for Debbie Cashio, 40, a homeless woman
whose death is being investigated as a possible homicide.

None of the participants on Wednesday said they knew Coker, who died last
week in a wooded area known as The Jungle off Interstate 5 near South Columbian
Way on the western flank of Beacon Hill.

``People who have problems with substance abuse usually stay in the
shadows,'' said Anitra Freeman, a formerly homeless woman and spokeswoman
for the
protesters.

``Everybody here doesn't know Herlie,'' Freeman said, ``but we cared enough
about his life to come down here.''

AP-WS-07-13-00 0703EDT

====================================
The Grassroots Media Network
1602 Chatham St
Austin, TX 78723
rootmedia@mail.com
http://www.crosswinds.net/~rootmedia/
http://www.crosswinds.net/~rootmedia/Queer
http://www.koop.org/stonewall/
stonewallday@egroups.com

We are:
Grassroots News Network, Queer News Network, Latino News Exchange,
Wmyn's News Service, Enviro News Service, Worker's News Service,
Grassroots Film & Video Collective, and Theoretical Ammo Arts Brigade,

To recieve daily news articles please respond to this post with the
following command in the subject line.

"add me to general news (for general news)"
"add me to queer news  (for queer news)"
"add me to latino news (for latino news)"
"add me to wmyn news (for women's international news)"
"add me to enviro news (for international environmental news)"
"add me to labor news (for labor and union issues)"
"add me to anti-racist news (for news on racism and other issues)"
"add me to local news (for austin and texas news)"