[Hpn] Fw: Time of Media Event Changed to 4PM Wed. July 5th

H. C. Covington, LLC icanamerica@email.msn.com
Mon, 03 Jul 2000 02:41:09 -0500

Subject: Cambridge, MA-  ALERT
Ad Hoc Committee to Defend Health Care

Time of Media Event Changed to 4PM Wed. July 5th

Hi Everyone,

Sorry to inconvenience you but we have had to change the time of the media
event to announce the successful signature drive to 4PM July 5th at the
request of the State legislature.

While pushing for the ballot initiative, all along we have told the
legislature and the press that we are flexible. The legislature has tried to
get us to take down the initiative in exchange for passing the Patient's Bill
of Rights and we have steadfastly told them that would not be sufficient. The
only way we would consider not proceeding with the initiative is if the
legislature passes a strong bill of rights, another on for-profit conversions
and a third mandating universal access to everyone in the state by a date
certain-the 3 legs of the ballot initiative-and they are signed into law by
the Governor. This is now precisely what the legislature is asking for more
time to do.

Personally, I remain skeptical that the legislature can deliver on this but
the campaign folks feel it's wise to hold off for a few hours to give the
legislature and the Governor time to act. So the plan is to proceed with the
media event at 4PM either to announce we've agreed to a deal or, as planned,
to hand in our signatures and move forward with the campaign. As the latter
seems far more likely, please try to turn up at the entrance of the Park
Street T stop at 3:45 PM in white coats and scrubs if possible. We've already
rented the ambulance to take the petitions to the Secretary of State's
office. Hope to see you there!

Timothy McCall, MD
Executive Director
Ad Hoc Committee to Defend Health Care