[Hpn] Baltimore Feature

The New Colonist newcolonist@newcolonist.com
Sun, 31 Dec 2000 08:07:18 -0800

New Hampshire Commemoration of National Homeless Memorial Day

 December 21, 2000

 Whereas, adequate housing essential for healthy families and
communities; and

 Whereas, soaring housing costs and a shortage of housing stock (both
rental and single family) make housing inaccessible to increasing
numbers of New Hampshire residents, many of whom are working full time;
and

 Whereas, last year 6,157 people, 1,249 of whom were children, were
housed in the state's 39 shelters and 8,919 were turned away for lack of

 available beds; and

 Whereas, untold numbers of homeless families are living with relatives
or friends; and

 Whereas, each year too many people die alone in the cold; and

 Whereas, this day is the 10th annual National Homeless Memorial Day;

 Now, therefore, I, Jeanne Shaheen, Governor of the State of New
Hampshire, do hereby proclaim December 21, 2000 as Homeless Memorial Day

 in New Hampshire, honoring those who have died  and  I urge all citizens

 to learn more about the housing crisis facing our state and to
contribute whatever they can to the care and shelter of the homeless
people in our midst.