[Hpn] TOKYO HOMELESS SQUATTERS get "big success" at Ueno Park! For FAXES of support, thanks! FAXES of support, thanks!

Tom Boland wgcp@earthlink.net
Fri, 29 Dec 2000 23:07:46 -0800 (PST)

*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*. Nasubi <nasubi@jca.apc.org> (^o^)/~ San'ya Welfare Center for Day-Laborers' Association 1-25-11 Nihon-zutumi, Taito, Tokyo 111, JAPAN Phone/Fax: +81-3-3876-7073 http://www.jca.apc.org/nojukusha . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * FWD Thu, 28 Dec 2000 - RELATED ARTICLES & CONTACT INFO APPENDED To: "Tom Boland / Homeless People's Network listworker" <wgcp@earthlink.net> From: nasubi <nasubi@jca.apc.org> WE ARE GETTING A BIG SUCCESS AT VENO PARK! THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT! Dear Tom, Thank you for your forwarding our e-mail regarding the evictions at Ueno Park. We are grateful to your support for homeless people living there. The protest actions by the homeless people everyday and many messages from friends in the world have abruptly changed an attitude of the Administration Office of Tokyo Eastern Parks. Finally, the office recently sat down with us, the homeless and the supporting organization, to negotiate the matter. In the meeting, the office at first apologized to homeless people living in Ueno Park and promised the follows; * The office apologizes that they did not inform and consult this matter to the homeless people. * The office promises never to evict nor force the people to go to "self-support center" against their will. Moreover, the office proposed the follows; * The office will prepare another place in the same park for the people to be able to move their tents and live there at least six months. * After six months, the office will negotiate the future plan with the people again. We are discussing whether we should accept their proposal or not. We will have a meeting with the office again to negotiate their proposal and our requests. We are getting a big success. The most important point is that the office declared they should not justify any evictions with the establishment of "self-support center". The results will support and encourage 30,000 homeless people in Japan. Thank you very much for your support again. We hope to keep such a strong solidarity with you hereafter. We will report our situation again. - Peace, Nasubi San'ya Welfare Center for Day-Laborers' Association Tokyo, Japan *.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*. Nasubi <nasubi@jca.apc.org> (^o^)/~ San'ya Welfare Center for Day-Laborers' Association 1-25-11 Nihon-zutumi, Taito, Tokyo 111, JAPAN Phone/Fax: +81-3-3876-7073 http://www.jca.apc.org/nojukusha . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * CIRCULATE WIDELY PLEASE FWD Wed, 20 Dec 2000 REPLY TO: San'ya Welfare Center for Day-Laborers' Association <NASUBI@jca.apc.org> APPEAL AGAINST EVICTIONS IN VENO PARK, JAPAN [Tokyo] Hi! My name is Nasubi, an activist for homeless people and day-laborers in Japan. We have produced and supported actions of homeless people mainly in Tokyo. I think the past report, "[FNB-L] JAPAN homeless fear Government Plan = more Forced Relocation" (Fri, 15 Dec 2000), is rather fair. Recently, we organizations of homeless people in Japan have been faced with some difficulties. Now, I would like to ask you to support our protest against an eviction in Ueno Park of Tokyo. The following is an appeal for asking a fax massage against the evictions to the Office of Tokyo metropolitan government. Please assist our protests with your fax massage ! - Peace, Nasubi <nasubi@jca.apc.org> ------ Dear Friends, This is an urgent appeal from organizations of homeless people and activist in Japan about eviction threats in Ueno Park in Tokyo. Immediately threatened are 23 of the 400 homeless people living in the said park. The eviction, however, can become a precedent because the government is using the establishment of government "self-support centres" to justify evictions. The Administration Office of the Tokyo Eastern Parks urged the people to move out because of the plan of the government to widen a road in the park last November. The office said the people should move into so-called self-support centres, which were opened in mid-November in order to facilitate homeless people to get jobs. However, most of the people living in the park have rejected this offer because it is difficult to get jobs even through the centre now. The capacity of the two centres is only 150 people but there are more than 6,000 homeless people in Tokyo; and the centres are already full. After a serious fire in the card-board village at Shinjuku station killed four homeless people in February 1998, the organization of homeless people in Tokyo demanded public support for houses, jobs and welfare, and negotiated with the Tokyo metropolitan government and the Japanese central government for these. The organization has claimed that the government should arrange various options from which each homeless person can select what he thinks is best for him out of his own free will (the self-support centre is just one of them), and that the government should not conduct any evictions. Finally, the Tokyo metropolitan government opened two self-support centres in Tokyo in mid-November while the Japanese central government also began constructing similar centres in other cities. The organization of homeless people, however, has said that the government should not use the centres as a pretence for forced evictions. Because of this, nearly 200 homeless people went to the health and welfare department of the City Office on November 8 and 9, 2000 and secured some concessions. Apparently, however, the administration office of the Tokyo Eastern Parks is still bent on going ahead with the evictions. Determined to continue with their struggle, they are asking for our support in the form of letters to be sent to: Mr. Yanagisawa the Administration Office of Tokyo Eastern Parks Fax. +81-3-5685-0144. Please let us not let them down. Kindly furnish copies of your letters to: Nasubi, member San'ya Welfare Center for Day-Laborers' Association 1-25-11 Nihon-zutumi, Taito, Tokyo 111, JAPAN Phone/fax: +81-3-3876-7073 Email: nasubi@jca.apc.org http://www.jca.apc.org/nojukusha Below is a sample letter that may be useful to you. ------------------------ Sample letter Mr. Yanagisawa The Administration Office of Tokyo Eastern Parks City of Tokyo Fax. +81-3-5685-0144 Dear Sir: Our office/organization has learned from organizations of homeless people and NGOs in Japan that your Office is determined to forcibly evict the homeless people in Ueno Park. Although you seem to argue that the self-support centre will serve as alternative housing for the people to be evicted, we learned that there are actually no more rooms in the centre that can accommodate the 23 homeless people who will be evicted. Moreover, the people say they have not been consulted whether they prefer to go to the centre or have some other options, and would be forced to go there against their will. They say this eviction will create an upsurge of more evictions in Tokyo and other cities of Japan that the government can justify with the establishment of so-called self-support centres. All this obviously indicates that the evictions to be undertaken will be forced evictions. May we remind you that according to the United Nations and the Istanbul Habitat II Conference "forced evictions are a gross violation of human rights, in particular the right to adequate housing." It would indeed be a shame that a rich and progressive country like Japan and a city like Tokyo would violate the human rights of the poorest of its citizens. We therefore earnestly urge your Office to desist from committing such an act. As the experience in other and generally poorer countries have shown, forced evictions do not solve problems; in fact, they only worsen them. Moreover, where government, affected communities and their NGOs sit down together to study, negotiate and look for solutions, something positive and good usually comes out. We strongly suggest that your Office will sit down with the representatives of the San'ya Day-Laborers' Union for Disputation, the Executive Committee of the Anti-unemployment Movement, and the homeless in Ueno Park. Respectfully yours, Name of the organization/group SEE ALSO [Hpn] JAPAN homeless fear Government Plan = more Forced Relocation (fwd) Tom Boland wgcp@earthlink.net Fri, 15 Dec 2000 13:24:14 -0800 (PST) http://www.asahi.com/english/asahi/1215/asahi121501.html FWD Asahi Evening News - December 15, 2000 PLANS FOR HOMELESS RAISE QUESTIONS AND SUSPICIONS SOME HOMELESS AND THEIR SUPPORTERS FEAR A REPLAY OF THE 1996 CRACKDOWN ON PEOPLE LIVING IN SHINJUKU STATION Visit HPN for CONSTANTLY UPDATING NEWS on Homeless People organizing: *********************************************************** 9000+ articles by or via homeless & ex-homeless people INFO & to join/leave list - Tom Boland <wgcp@earthlink.net> Nothing About Us Without Us - Democratize Public Policy ***********************************************************