[Hpn] HUD Grants and Cuts

HOBOMATT@aol.com HOBOMATT@aol.com
Thu, 28 Dec 2000 19:32:03 -0500 (EST)

My apologies... I ment to attach the below article to my earlier posting. It
discusses our loss of Continuum of Care funding
Matt Parkhouse

HUD cuts funding

Grants for homeless fall $1 million short

By Ed Sealover/The Gazette
Edited by Cheryl Curry; headline by Sherida Warner

Federal grants for three local homeless advocacy programs came in more than
$1 million lower than requested.
Pikes Peak Mental Health Center, Community Health Centers and Ecumenical
Social Ministries received $315,044 from an annual award to homeless programs
nationwide. The U.S. Housing and Urban Development grants were detailed late
Tuesday by the Colorado Department of Human Services.

However, the total award pales compared to the $1.39 million the groups
requested. A HUD spokeswoman gave no immediate explanation for why the
groups' request was slashed so drastically.

The money will cover programs designed to care for the homeless and move
people into houses and jobs.

It will fund activities during the next year, but it will not pay for three
years of services that the HUD grants typically fund, said Tracy D'Alanno,
manager of homeless programs for the Colorado Department of Human Services.

The local groups will have to reapply next year when more organizations come
up for re-financing on a three-year basis.

With a glut of organizations vying for these funds, some will get cut,
D'Alanno said.

"It's safe to say that (the lower-than-requested allocation) could jeopardize
the future funding of these programs," she said. "Usually, in this state, if
they lose the HUD funding, they lose the program."

The affected programs are:

Pikes Peak's Homeless Outreach Program, which provides medical, vocational
and therapeutic services to the city's mentally ill homeless population. It
got $150,882 from the grant.

Community Health Centers' Respite Care Clinic, which provides medical care
for shelter residents who are recovering from illness or have just given
birth. It received $147,333 for this year's operations.

Ecumenical Social Ministries' Solid Ground program, which identifies homeless
people and helps to move them into permanent housing and teach them job
skills. Its $16,829 federal stipend this year will pay for about one-third of
the program.

Officials for Pikes Peak and Community Health Centers had not heard about the
diminished grants and on Wednesday could not comment on their effects.

Bill Lewis, ESM executive director, said he was surprised to receive only one
year of funding but planned to try again next year.

Colorado Springs was only one of three applying communities in the state
funded at less than its share as designated by a federal formula measuring a
community's need to help the homeless.

Ron Cousar, group support director for the Springs' neighborhood services,
said he will seek a meeting with HUD officials after Jan. 1 to discuss
increasing funding. The city helped the groups in preparing the application
for the grants.

Cousar said the city does not have money in its budget to contribute to the
affected programs.

"We'll take some hits in some areas because of the amount we'll end up
receiving," Cousar said of the local groups.