[Hpn] Recommended: "An end to homelessness by 2010?"

children@risk.mailbox.as children@risk.mailbox.as
Tue, 26 Dec 2000 19:06:14 -0500 (EST)

children@risk.mailbox.as has recommended this article from
The Christian Science Monitor's electronic edition.

Click here to email this story to a friend:
http://www.csmonitor.com/cgi-bin/send-story?2000/12/27/text/p1s1.txt

Click here to read this story online:
http://www.csmonitor.com/durable/2000/12/27/fp1s1-csm.shtml

Headline:  An end to homelessness by 2010?
Byline:  Alexandra Marks
Date: 12/27/2000
(NEW YORK )The plastic hospital bracelet Mary Wiley still wears on her wrist could
be a key, at least symbolically, to understanding the growing problem
of homelessness in America.

Tall, with a mass of brown curls and a husky voice, Ms. Wiley has been
on and off the streets for years.

Diagnosed with manic depression, her health weakened, she's just spent
six weeks in the hospital. Now, though, she suddenly finds herself
discharged - and spending her holidays at a drop-in center for the
homeless in midtown Manhattan.

"They changed my doctor, and all of the sudden, he told me I had to
leave," she says, visibly upset. "They told me the only place I could
go was a city shelter."

This is life on the edge in America, where the first stop out of many
social-service agencies - from mental-health facilities to hospitals to
prisons - is the local homeless shelter, or the streets.

Indeed, the homeless system has now become something of an unofficial
back-up safety net for America's mainstream social-service programs.

At the same time, the nation's stock of affordable and subsidized
housing has plummeted - a problem the booming economy has only
exacerbated. As a result, in the past 25 years homelessness has grown
from a fairly rare phenomenon to a national problem, with more than
40,000 shelters and agencies springing up around the country to deal
with the millions of Mary Wileys in America.

"If we keep letting this go on, we're going to be paying for this
forever. We're going to totally institutionalize this problem - a
problem we didn't have 25 years ago," says Nan Roman of the National
Alliance to End Homelessness in Washington. "It's really a choice, and
if it doesn't get made in the short term, soon, we're going to pass the
point when we can turn it around."

Over the weekend, the Clinton administration announced more than $1
billion in new grants to help more than 200,000 people find a home. He
said the goal was to "create new opportunities for the homeless, for
hard-pressed working families, and for those struggling to buy their
first home." Homeless advocates applauded the move as essential to help
an overburdened system.

But many also believe it's time for a new approach to address the root
causes of the problem. It's estimated that on any given night in
America, anywhere from 700,000 to 2 million people are homeless.

The alliance has developed a plan to cut those numbers dramatically
over 10 years. It's a combination of creating more affordable housing
and rebuilding mainstream social-service programs to include the
transitional programs they once provided - from comprehensive discharge
planning to halfway houses to permanent affordable housing for the
mentally ill.

From their perspective, the shelter system has become an expensive,
national halfway house that isn't properly equipped to provide the
training, treatment, or transition services people need to put their
lives back together. That has helped create a core population of
chronically homeless.

"We have done a terrible job in this country since we
de-institutionalized [the mentally ill] in the '70s," says Dean Wright,
a homeless expert at Drake University in Des Moines, Iowa. "We just did
not provide care to the people that needed care - whether it be
medical-care, mental-health, or substance-abuse treatment - and without
it people end up right back in prison or out on the streets."

Now homeless advocates hope the new Republican administration - with
its emphasis on compassionate conservatism - will be receptive to
addressing that failure. And they're looking to Massachusetts, where
conservative Gov. Paul Cellucci has embraced the concept, to help make
their case. In a speech earlier this month, Governor Cellucci noted
that, in 1997, almost 60 percent of the people in the state's homeless
shelters had been released from some sort of institutional setting in
the past 12 months.

He then announced that all state agencies - and private ones with state
funding - will be required to develop "consistent and effective
protocols" for discharging their clients that include "life-skills
training and housing search assistance."

"The new ... initiative does not require new resources, but is a proven
method for homeless prevention, which state agencies can implement
quickly and effectively with dramatic results," he says.

That was a victory for Philip Mangano, executive director of the
Massachusetts Housing and Shelter Alliance. For the past decade, he's
been studying the growing homelessness problem and advocating a
different approach from simply building more shelters.

He describes the current situation as analogous to a house where, every
time five people go out the back door, seven more are waiting to get in
the front. And many of them, like Wiley, are repeat visitors who need
more than a place to put their head for the night.

"What you've got is gridlock at the back door because there isn't
access to enough affordable housing, and we've got overflow and
overcrowding at the front door because these mainstream systems keep
dumping people into the shelters," says Mr. Mangano.

Even as the economy slows, housing prices are expected to remain high
for some time, pushing more low-income families into the shelter
system, as well. So along with proper discharge planning, homeless
advocates are continuing to fight to increase tax incentives and
subsidies to build more affordable housing.

"For homeless families, the problem continues to be an inability to pay
market rent and a lack of access to capital to buy a place to live,"
says Gail Nayowith, executive director of the Citizens' Committee for
Children of New York. "At the same time, there's been a complete
shutdown in the development of affordable housing."

That shutdown has affected Wiley, as well. She has some income from
Social Security, but only enough to pay a few hundred dollars a month.
And in Manhattan, where it can take that much to rent a parking space,
she has little chance of finding an apartment. In the meantime, she's
been sleeping, sitting upright in the chairs of the drop-in center. "I
was in a [single-room-occupancy hotel] before, but I lost that room,"
she says. "I'm willing to go back, I want to, I need a place to stay."

(c) Copyright 2000 The Christian Science Monitor.  All rights reserved.

Click here to email this story to a friend:
http://www.csmonitor.com/cgi-bin/send-story?2000/12/27/text/p1s1.txt

The Christian Science Monitor-- an independent daily newspaper providing context and clarity on national and international news, peoples and cultures, and social trends.  Online at http://www.csmonitor.com

Click here to order a free sample copy of the print edition of the Monitor:
http://www.csmonitor.com/advertising/order_page.html