[Hpn] "Treat us... don't beat us!!.."

Sat, 23 Dec 2000 13:42:39 -0700

 http://www.poormagazine.org/index.cfm?L1=news&story=149&pg=1#Title

POOR
NEWS
NETWORK

PNN is a multi-media access project of POOR Magazine, dedicated to reframing
the news, issues and  solutions from low and no income communities, as well
as providing society with a  perspective usually not heard or seen within
the mainstream media.

"Treat us... don't beat us!!.."

Protestors shut down the Health Commission hearing over lack of mental
health services for homeless San Franciscans

By Kaponda
Tuesday, December 19, 2000;

Vibrations from raging thumps on the cold, smooth, glassy surface of the
anterior of the Rose Hotel rattled in my ears. Expressive vibrations sent in
earnest to rail against the refusal by the international community to
recognize and respond to a growing phenomenon -- mental illness. I craned my
neck to see the grim face and blustery mouth of a woman the hands of whom
were strewing the entrance of the building with litter.

As another tenant of the recently renovated Rose, a tenderloin district
Single Room Occupancy Hotel, used his card to access the building, the woman
wriggled through the crevice like an escapee slithering through the portals
of the gulag. The antics of the woman intensified in the waiting area of the
building. A shrill zoomed through every keyhole in the building, unlocking
the emotional vaults of the hearts and minds of its tenants. Before the
woman had completely taken her hand off the fire alarm, it seemed as if
every firefighter in San Francisco were in front of the Rose building. The
police fastened the wrists of the woman with handcuffs and herded her to
jail, where she was incarcerated for two days. While the members of the Fire
Department displayed the confidence at the scene, the police were completely
unprepared to handle a person displaying severe signs of mental illness.

The inexperience of police officers in recognizing people such as the woman
at the Rose, whom I later interviewed and discovered goes by the name
Staarr, arises in large part, out of a failure by the San Francisco Police
Department to implement the Police Crisis Intervention, a carefully planned
training program for police on how to respond to people with mental
illnesses. In a telephone interview with the Director of Training for the
San Francisco Police Department, Captain Daniel Lawson, I posed the obvious
question, in asking why has the San Francisco Police Department neglected to
use the Police Intervention Crisis, a project that had had the blessings of
the San Francisco Board of Supervisors in the amount of $180,000? "It is
difficult to get officers off the street for 40 hours," stated Captain
Lawson, referring to the curriculum developed by community members which
would train one police officer on every shift at every precinct on how to
respond to calls which were coded as "individuals acting bizarrely."

The sky above the Department of Public Health was garbed with two strati
clouds, which gave not a scintilla of a threat of spoiling the action,
"Hundreds 'Die-In' Protest Over Criminalization of Mental Illness," in which
scores of health care providers, advocates and consumers gathered came to
participate. Across the street on the grounds of Civic Center Plaza, between
the Christmas tree on the thick green lawn and the single row of poinsettias
in 10 cement encasements near City Hall, the crowd watched as a cast of
people from the Coalition on Homelessness illustrated the fatal consequences
which follow from a law enforcement community that is not able to determine
the symptoms of mental illness at the scene of an incident. Training that
would probably have determined that Staarr had been diagnosed with a bipolar
affective disorder, according to information that she provided me, and
people like Staarr whose mental illnesses are varied. They would have
diverted Staarr, and others like her, from jails and prisons to treatment
centers where they would have a reasonable chance to get help.

I caught up with one of the key players and intricate components of the
rearguard action against the health care status-quo in San Francisco,
Jennifer Friedenbach of the Coalition on Homelessness. I asked Jennifer, who
heads the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Workgroup (SAMH), to speak to
the response by Captain Lawson regarding the difficulty to get police
officers off the streets for 40 hours, and the counterproposal by the Police
Department of 20 hours. "Twenty hours are not enough. Other police
departments around the country have been able to do it. This department is
no different than the five or six other police departments around the
country whose trainings are over 40 hours," stated Jennifer.

(top of article)

The moisture around her eyes was consumed by the warm rays from the bright
sun that had scattered the two clouds above, as Tiny, co-editor of PNN,
delivered a gut-wrenching piece written by the late Johnny Martinez, a
victim of a lack of mental health treatment in San Francisco. In addition to
her piece, poverty scholar and POOR staff writer Ken Moshesh, and the author
of a newly released book titled, Black Disabled Man With a Big Mouth and a
High IQ, Leroy Moore, Jr., illuminated the crowd with their spoken words of
brilliance on that Tuesday, December 12, 2000.

The San Francisco Public Health Strategic Plan, "Leading the Way to a
Healthier Community 2000," that was being heard by the San Francisco Health
Commission on the third floor of the Department of Public Health, was
abruptly preempted as the action moved from the Civic Center Plaza into the
presence of the commissioners. A large delegation of community health care
advocates, with Jennifer Friedenbach leading the way, marched into the room
accompanied by a chant, entitled, "The Twelve Days of Christmas." After the
12th Day of Christmas was done, the quiet in the room on the third floor of
the Department of Public Health was like the contentment produced by the
salve of tranquillity.

"We demand Police Crisis Intervention, No Expansion of Forced Treatment,
Protection of Human and Civil Rights of those Living on the Streets, and
Consumer Directed Mental Health Treatment on Demand...." These demands were
rattled off by a member of the Coalition on Homelessness as several members
of the protestors abruptly fell to the floor of the commission.

I asked Jennifer Friedenbach what was the purpose of the intrusion? "We
brought to them in a very forceful way a critical issue that they would
hear, as they have previously refused to do. I think they did listen to us.
I think we brought an issue that has been ignored about a community that is
disenfranchised."

There is no doubt on my mind that each commissioner heard each word in the
Four-Point Plan brought by the community on that day. I attempted to get a
comment from Roma Guy, the President of the Commission, during the reading
of the demands. She told me that she could not comment because "I am trying
to listen to what they are saying."

. As the Project Coordinator of the Civil Rights Division of the Coalition
on Homelessness, Mara Radar knew from extensive research that the claim;
"Hundreds 'Die-In' Protest Over Criminalization of Mental Illness" was
right. Therefore, she and her comrades sat defiantly on the floor before the
commissioners in solidarity for cause. After the police had waited them out,
a representative from the police asked Mara if they would leave or face the
alternative? The response of Mara Raider was analogous to the grand finale
of any venue of combat. "The reason that we are here is to lock them out of
the [strategic planning] process."

Everyone in the room, including the commissioners, exited to the chant of
"Shut It Down, Shut It Down, Shut It Down, Shut It Down, Shut It Down."

I asked Mara how she felt during those tense moments before the
commissioners decided to acquiesce and table the process, especially faced
with the possibility of being incarcerated? "We had a purpose there," stated
Mara as she continued. "It was to stop them from meeting the way they had
previously stopped us from being a part of their meetings. Our purpose was
to make sure that this health department really is `responding to the needs
of poor people. We were going to stay there as long as we needed to in order
to get our message across."

--
END FORWARD

**In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107,
this material is distributed without charge or profit
to those who have expressed a prior
interest in receiving this type of information for
non-profit research and educational purposes only.**

Year 2000 posts
INFO & to join/leave list - Tom Boland
<wgcp@earthlink.net>
Nothing About Us Without Us -