[Hpn] Re: Homelessness as choice

Stephen Twig Meeks s_meeks99@yahoo.com
Thu, 21 Dec 2000 16:48:57 -0800 (PST)

I choose to say "Houseless By Choice".

I travel, and here in Austin three distinct places I
stay (help with rent, etc.)

I value my freedom to choose, yet am able to do for
myself. I have been part of the "service provider"
world, as a client as well as a volunteer.

These agencies that are funded by city/state/fed to
help the homeless, are more interested in helping
themselves.

Through travels, etc. I have found that those that
help themselves, do not need these agencies, and
should be left alone, although in some states they
refer to us as SRI (Service Resistant Individual, so
they have grounds to lock us up if we refuse "social
services".

Whatever happened to our Constitution? Let those that
feel they need services access them, and those that
choose to stay out of the loop, let them be.

=====