[Hpn] *ALERT: Albuquerque Businesses' Bicycle Patrol to rouse homeless downtown (fwd)

Morgan W. Brown morganbrown@hotmail.com
Mon, 18 Dec 2000 11:43:29 -0500

In my opinion, for what it is worth and while I am sure it is quite obvious
to most on the HPN list in one regard or another, I will risk to state
certain points anyway:

* The hiring and use of private security patrols like the one described in
the article to police public areas to harass people who are homeless, poor,
or who are otherwise unwanted in order to protect the interests of private
business may not be anything really new in our society of course, yet are an
unjust and illegal abridgement and violation of rights. To be clear though,
even when the official police are used in this manner however, I believe it
is just as wrong and illegal if people are not committing real crime and are
solely being singled out for the circumstances they find themselves in and
attempting to survive.

Nothing that these patrols are set for or will do is to protect anyone's
rights other than that merchants protect their own bottom lines at the
expense of others.

It seems to me anyway that many businesses that are located in business
districts believe that they own the area and have special rights regarding
it. They can be highly territorial and protective of it. This appears to be
true in many places. It seems that if many businesses had their way, only
people who had money and came into their places of businesses to spend money
there would be allowed in what they seem to regard as their district alone.

* The use of these monies and human resources is not merely a major disgrace
and abuse of power, but is an enormous and ludicrous waste.

These monies and resources could be better directed to address the needs of
the people they will be moving on.

They are just pushing off what they see as a problem they do what to deal
with to someone or somewhere else.

They should use these monies and human resources to leverage more funds
which could be used to address the obvious basic needs of people in need:
including accessible, affordable, safe and decent (real) housing;
community-wide resource drop-in centers (run by people who either are most
in need of them or formerly were); affordable community food and household
goods purchasing coops (run by people who either are most in need of them or
formerly were); transportation and meal (etc) vouchers; employment training
and support programs (run by people who either are most in need of them or
formerly were);

These and other things just might actually help with improving the "quality
of life" of the community and those who live within it at every level if
everyone works together as equals in a mutual way toward these very
achievable goals. Plus maybe if people had access to more resources and had
livable wages they could both benefit from and contribute to the economy of
their community rather than be pushed around it or away from it. This means
businesses would profit better, wouldn't one assume anyway if they were not
so snobby, intolerant, high minded and socially short sighted.

Those are some of my thoughts on the subject anyway.

Morgan <morganbrown@hotmail.com>
Morgan W. Brown
Montpelier Vermont USA

PS  If you have not been there either before or recently,
make sure to visit Sundog Stories: http://www.sundogstories.net

Note: Permission to forward this entire (above) message (along with this
attached note of course) as is at will is hereby granted. -- MWB