[Hpn] FOX coverage

Sun, 17 Dec 2000 10:20:48 -0700

> Chance:
>
> Do you have text or a URL for the FOX coverage of Hayes?  Do I recall
> coverage of him in a protest about the Mitchell shooting?

The link to Justiceville is a caption for a photo.

peace,

chance

Los Angeles to Pay $975,000 to Estate of Homeless Woman Killed By Police
Saturday, December 16, 2000
LOS ANGELES ‹ The city has agreed to pay $975,000 to the estate of a
homeless woman who was killed by a police officer when she allegedly lunged
at him with a screwdriver.

http://www.foxnews.com:80/national/121600/homeless_shooting.sml

AP/Wide World
May 19: Justiceville homeless activists lead a shopping cart brigade in
memory of Margaret Mitchell.

The City Council on Friday voted 12-0 to settle a federal civil rights
lawsuit filed on behalf of Margaret Mitchell.

"It is a tragedy," Councilman Mark Ridley-Thomas said. He also criticized
the Police Department for a series of high-profile shooting deaths this
year.

Mitchell was shot to death May 21, 1999, after two officers stopped her to
determine whether a shopping cart she was pushing was stolen.

Police said one officer shot the mentally ill woman when she lunged at him
with a 12-inch screwdriver, but five witnesses who were deposed for the
lawsuit said they did not see woman lunge.

Police Chief Bernard Parks ruled the shooting was within department policy
but that the officer employed faulty tactics. The civilian Los Angeles
Police Commission said in a report in February that the shooting violated
department policy.

 Privacy Statement
 For FoxNews.com comments write to comments@newsdigital.com;
 For Fox News Channel comments write to comments@foxnews.com
© Associated Press. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
© News Digital Media 2000. All rights reserved.

--
END FORWARD

**In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107,
this material is distributed without charge or profit
to those who have expressed a prior
interest in receiving this type of information for
non-profit research and educational purposes only.**

Year 2000 posts
INFO & to join/leave list - Tom Boland
<wgcp@earthlink.net>
Nothing About Us Without Us -