[Hpn] Addressing Self-Defined Goals Improves Psychiatric Status of Homeless People Homeless People

Sat, 16 Dec 2000 12:32:04 -0700

Addressing Self-Defined Goals Improves Psychiatric Status of Homeless People

WESTPORT, CT (Reuters Health) Nov 30 - The mental health status of homeless
individuals with severe mental illness is improved when psychiatric
rehabilitation programs address clients' self-defined needs and goals,
according to a study conducted in New York City.

Dr. David L. Shern, currently of the University of South Florida, in Tampa,
and associates recruited 168 homeless subjects with serious and persistent
mental illness and randomized them to an experimental program, "Choices," or
standard treatment. The study is described in the December issue of the
American Journal of Public Health.

The researchers describe the Choices program as "similar in structure to an
intensive case management program." Its features included participation in a
low-demand day center that offered assistance in obtaining health, mental
health, dental and social services, and assisted in developing and
implementing individual rehabilitation plans.

The team reasoned, Dr. Shern told Reuters Health, that "if we could engage
clients by literally putting them in charge, having them make the decisions
about how their treatment would be directed, we could engage them in
relationship that ultimately would result in us being much more effective
than we had been previously."

Using such instruments as Lehman's Quality of Life Scales and the Colorado
Symptom Index, the investigators observed significantly greater reductions
in anxiety, depression, and thought disturbances in the Choices participants
than in the control group.

Choices participants also had significantly less difficulty in obtaining
food, a place to sleep, and keeping clean. At 24 months, 38% of subjects in
the Choices program were residing in community settings, compared with 24%
of the control subjects. In addition, those in the experimental program
reported consistently greater improvement in six of seven life areas.

"The thought of giving clients more control is something program staff
really struggled with," Dr. Shern said. "The magic is, you find when you
really do that, the things they want are not that unreasonable, that they
can make choices for themselves and their choices have consequences, and you
talk through that with them. You start to develop a relationship because
you've become allies."

One key to the program's success, Dr. Shern pointed out, was a sense of
accountability on the part of program staff.

On the other hand, he added, "Barriers to implementing such a program on a
larger scale are innumerable: the way we fund and pay for services, the fact
that we haven't structured a system in our communities so that anyone is
really in charge of these so-called 'throw-away people.'"

Most important, Dr. Shern added, is "the political will to actually address
these issues and to develop ways to pay for services like this for a very
disenfranchised group."

Am J Public Health 2000;90:1873-1878.

Copyright  2000 Reuters Ltd.

--
END FORWARD

**In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107,
this material is distributed without charge or profit
to those who have expressed a prior
interest in receiving this type of information for
non-profit research and educational purposes only.**

Year 2000 posts
INFO & to join/leave list - Tom Boland
<wgcp@earthlink.net>
Nothing About Us Without Us -