[Hpn] Blaming people who are homeless: A personal account

Harmony Foster Kieding fosterharmony@savethisplanet.com
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 16:41:23 -0800

Morgan,

I hear you! I both hear you, and also know from my own personal experiences
while homeless something of what you have gone through. I could identify reaaaallly
well when you said "It is bad enough to be aware that someone
>has these attitudes, but it is even far worse when they find ways for a
>person to trust them and allow them to help and then they turn on you with

>judgmental attitudes, blame, put downs and negativity."

I had a "friend" in LA. We were room-mates on and off together for years...
had hundreds of hours of fun conversations, etc. But somehow it all changed
when it came down to my needing a place in out of the cold one freezing winter
night. Chris just "somehow didn't have room". That pretty much makes it very
clearwhat kind of a relationship it is, when a "friend" doesn't care enough
to give shelter on a freezing night. So, as you said.."That is the last I will
ever be in contact with that individual and now I
>will be less trusting of others even more than I have been."

Being homeless is one of THE most stressful experiences I can think of. It is
right up there with being a war veteran, or victim of a violent crime, or any
of the other circumstances that lead people to seek help for post traumatic
stress disorder symptoms. Only trouble is.. when you're out on the street in
survival mode, there is no safe place of retreat for healing. And man, some
of these scars go deep. Really deep. Plus, it isn't "POST" traumatic stress
disorder... it's going on NOW.
A few months ago, I did a search on eGroups for post traumatic stress disorder
support groups. There were a lot for child abuse, molestation, policemen, veterans,
and others...but not a single one for people who are, or who have been, homeless.
Not one. Something in me kinda snapped at that point, and I started my own egroup...
ptsdhomeless.
Anyway, I just wanted to say that I really heard what you shared.

Harmony

Harmony's HomePage: Homeless Resources & Humanitarian Causes
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Agora/7076/causes.html