[Hpn] Supreme Court Rules for BUSH on Florida Recounts (Reuters) fwd

Anitra Freeman anitra@speakeasy.org
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 22:22:13 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 12 Dec 2000, Tom Boland wrote:

> Would BUSH rather than GORE as USA president make much difference
> for HOMELESS PEOPLE?  If so, how so, and what's you evidence?

I am concerned because a right-wing Republican administration will make
it easier to dismantle social programs, will encourage blame-the-victim
public attitudes, and will promote "civility laws."  Dubya plans tax
benefits for the already rich, which would further widen the income gap,
making it even harder for more people to afford housing and other
necessities, and creating more homelessness.

A Gore administration would also have some risks -- Welfare Reform was
begun under Clinton, with Gore as VP.  But Gore does not plan attacks on
*all* social entitlement programs, including Social Security, Medicare,
and Medicaid.  Gore does plan to work for a universal health plan.  And
a Gore budget will not promote the proseperity of the few by increasing
the poverty of the many as much as a Bush budget will.

However -- with the split in Congress and the anger among voters over
the election fiascoes, I don't think Dubya is going to be able to do
zipola, good or bad.

The worst effect of Dubya's administration has already happened.  Faith
in the legitimacy of the democratic process and the judicial system is
at an all-time low, and Dubya is directly responsible for that.

Write On! / Anitra L. Freeman / http://www.speakeasy.org/~anitra/
"We can't help everyone.  We can't fix everything.  It hurts.
 But it is better to live with pain than to live without caring."