[Hpn] Lost Brother "At Home" Vending Newspapers On Boston Streets FWD

Harmony Foster Kieding fosterharmony@savethisplanet.com
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 10:59:05 -0800

>"Have you ever felt more "at home" on the streets than with your family?"

I have felt more at home with almost any group more than my family. It's not
the streets necessarily that I feel more at home with- but I did feel more at
home with my fellow homeless friends.
I grew up in a violent, dysfunctional family. My father was/is a rage-aholic
who beat up me and my brothers and abused us verbally and emotionally as well.
Once he pushed me down a flight of stairs. He thought nothing of kicking, punching,
and pulling hair out.
This man, when he was through abusing his family, would dress up in a three
piece business suit and go to his day job as an attorney. Now, gee.... I wonder
why I had problems with authority figures....*musing really hard, here*
My first "real" Christmas that I ever enjoyed was at my AA club. It was a really
happy time, and I felt totally accepted. Their acceptance helped carry me through
my first experience of being homeless (when I was five years sober)..and again
during my second bout of homelessness (when I was thirteen years sober).
Anyway, "family" for me these days is found anywhere but my so-called "real"
family, none of whom offered me even one night's stay under a roof the entire
time I was homeless.

Harmony

>http://www.newsday.com/ap/text/topnews/ap858.htm
>FWD  AP Top News - 11 December 2000 4:07 PM EST
>
>     LOST BROTHER AT HOME ON THE STREETS
>
>     by HEIDI B. PERLMAN
>     Associated Press Writer
>
>BOSTON (AP) -- Last year at this time, Scott Goodwin lived on the
>street and sold newspapers for enough cash to buy his fill of
>scratch tickets and beer. It had been 12 years since he had seen
>any of his siblings. They all believed he was dead.
>
>   Then Goodwin's brother found him -- in his morning newspaper. An
>Associated Press photograph taken during the city's homeless count
>featured Goodwin, and led to a tearful reunion and the beginning of
>a second chance for him.
>
>   Today, Goodwin is back selling papers in downtown Boston -- not
>because he has to, but because he wants to."

((cut short, Harmony)))

for non-profit research and educational purposes only.**