[Hpn] Re: Homelessness as choice

Paul Pitt pjpitt@mindspring.com
Sat, 09 Dec 2000 10:20:43 -0800

Matt Parkhouse
I made no such choice... and many like me made no such choice ... society
just had not use for us.   If you have white hair you are not needed ..AND
IT IS LEGAL TO DISCRIMINATE AND EVEN HATE OLD PEOPLE.

So put you money where your mouth is: help me find work.

I am not asking for money.  I do not want a loan.  I want a job.  I don't
want to beg, but I am begging. Please help me.

I am not perfect.  I am mature and most people think "he ought to be retired
and living on his savings."  Well, maybe I should,  but the 1990's recession
took my job, my savings and my house.  It took my job: Orange County
government went bankrupt (because of the recession) and I was layed off!  I
could not afford to keep my house, so when the savings ran out my house was
sold to pay the loan.    I had temporary employment during Y2K and then that
ended.

I wish to God I was not 60 years old.  I wish to God that I was well
connected in business.  I wish to God that I had some special advantage.
But I do not.  A good many of my friends either moved on or passed on.  I
was not at the top of the heap when it crashed.

I have done good things in my past.
* I am a hard worker.  [ I was never late, did not take time sick, and I did
more than my share]
* I have a good education (master's).   (B.S. Liberal arts, M.A., public
administration)
* I am not and  have never been a drinker.
* I don't smoke or use drugs.  (I quit smoking in 1974)
* I am in good health.
* I am honest.  [I have never stolen anything ever] [I cannot lie, I get
caught when I try it]
* I have no criminal record. [I have not had a traffic ticket in over ten
years].
* I have references.  [there are people who will attest to my work ]
* I have technical skills.  [I programmed and managed computers for 20
years]
* I have business skills and business education.   [I have a paralegal
certificate and R.E. Broker's license] [I have made a lot of money for
others, none for myself]
* I have more than 4,000 classroom hours of in-service training.  [that is
at least another degree or two]
* I have accomplishments in business and in government [I stopped crime on
one community, reduced government costs in three others, got awards for
helping more than 1/3rd of the cities and counties in Illinois]
* I was married once and raise two kids [now none of them want to know me]
* I am a member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars and I served in the Navy
* I learned to fly in the 1970's and mastered instrument flying as well
* I sailed across the Atlantic to deliver a boat in 1999, and that is a Mt.
Everest for being over 50

.. but all of that doesn't count for much, . I have been UNEMPLOYED for over
a year.  Hard core unemployed. I am only a step away from holding one of
those "will work for food" signs on a freeway ramp.  I am out of  money,
have no friends, and no resources.  The unemployment office says "keep
looking, something will happen." The VFW cannot help.   The Vietnam veterans
gave me an aptitude test,. but since I am not addicted I do not fit the mold
there.

Don't just sit and throw stones... help out (or else shut up).