[Hpn] Business Authority opposes shelter in downtown Shreveport LA USA

Tom Boland wgcp@earthlink.net
Thu, 7 Dec 2000 17:39:27 -0800 (PST)

Has "corporate leverage over funding for nonprofits" affected the 1) mission, 2) population served or 3) siting of "homeless services" in your community? If so, how? When business interests dominate nonprofit or public policy, who gains & loses? How? Why? What can we do about it? http://newsfinder.arinet.com/fpweb/fp.dll/$stargeneral/htm/x_dv.htm/_ibyx/cg0302 6/_itox/starnet/_svc/news/_Id/690745200/_k/6f4f940H1IhnVohH FWD Associated Press - AP Wire Service - Dec 06, 2000 BUSINESS OWNERS ASK HOMELESS SHELTER TO LOCATE ELSEWHERE SHREVEPORT, La. (AP) _ Business leaders are attempting to dissuade a homeless shelter from moving into the downtown. The Downtown Development Authority adopted a resolution Tuesday outlining concerns about a plan by the Shreveport-Bossier Rescue Mission to move to McNeill Street. The Christian rescue mission plans to build a $6 million facility that offers 250 beds for men, drug and alcohol treatment programs and counseling. But business owners think the shelter is best built somewhere else. ``We can help them engage the business community to help find a better location and in the long term that dialogue will help their fund-raising efforts,'' Andy Taft, executive director of the DDA, said. ``It's a community decision. It's a community problem,'' he said. Rescue mission leaders have looked at other downtown properties, but seem satisfied with McNeill Street, where they have begun improvements to a five acre site where the shelter is expected to be built. ``Obviously, we'd love to have the support of everybody in our endeavor,'' mission executive director the Rev. Henry Martin said. ``I truly believe the rescue mission is a very important aspect of this community,'' he said. Taft said it is important that business owners voice their objections to the project. ``The DDA needed to make its position very clear,'' he said. ``We pledge our assistance to the rescue mission to find a more appropriate location.'' Dave McClamroch, owner of McClamroch Tool Service, said, ``We want to be good neighbors and we plan to be good neighbors, but I had hoped they would find a better use for that property as close as it is to downtown, right off the interstate.'' McClamroch, who is not a DDA member, said he is worried about the crowds that inevitably get turned away from homeless shelters and soup kitchens. The mission, which has been operating since 1955, is now on Texas Street and has 90 beds for men. Besides a place to stay, the charity offers food and clothing. In 1999, it served about 52,000 meals. ___ On The Net: The Shreveport-Bossier Rescue Mission: <http://www.softdisk.com/customer/rescue> The Downtown Development Authority: <http://www.downtownshreveport.com> AP-CS-12-06-00 0348EST Received Id AP100341A1C49A49 on Dec 06 2000 13:18 END FORWARD **In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material is distributed without charge or profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this type of information for non-profit research and educational purposes only.** *********************************************************** 9000+ articles by or via homeless & ex-homeless people INFO & to join/leave list - Tom Boland <wgcp@earthlink.net> Nothing About Us Without Us - Democratize Public Policy ***********************************************************