[Hpn] "Stop the regressive bargaining, give them a fair Class/Comp settlement." "Stop the regressive bargaining, give them a fair Class/Comp settlement."

H. C. Covington icanamerica@email.msn.com
Wed, 06 Dec 2000 09:49:16 -0600

USA: REGRESSIVE BARGAINING CONFRONTS PUBLIC SECTOR UNION COALITION

Dear Supporter:

The following is a short request for you to send an e-mail in support
of workers in King County Washington, USA.

A coalition of unions (International Federation of Professional &
Technical Engineers Local 17, Teamsters 117, and Service Employees
International Union 519) have been in wage negotiations with King
County
for the past two years. Over an 18 month period, slow but steady
progress was made which was memorialized in a series of tentative
agreements.

In July 2000, a new lead negotiator took over for management. Things
went downhill quickly. At this point, the employer has repudiated the
tentative agreements, engaged in direct dealing by sending wage
proposals directly to union members, and embarked upon a belligerent
regressive bargaining campaign including:

*stripping overtime eligibility from hundreds of employees; and
*increasing the work week 15% without a corresponding pay increase.
*cutting pay rate increases by 50%.

Many may remember that this is the same employer which engaged in a
brutal series of unfair labor practices against IFPTE Local 17 shop
stewards and then sought a judicial gag order to try and stop Local 17
from publicizing those abuses. At the time, the thousands of e-mails
from our supporters was instrumental in getting the gag order request
rescinded.

Today we are requesting that our supporters send polite but firm
e-mails
saying:

"Stop the regressive bargaining, give them a fair Class/Comp
settlement."

Please send your e-mails to:

SAM.PAILCA@METROKC.GOV
and CC: them to solidarity2001@netscape.net