[Hpn] Homelessness chosen? Ted Hayes of LA Dome Village opines. Your view? view?

john macpherson nyceguy50@yahoo.com
Tue, 5 Dec 2000 10:01:08 -0800 (PST)

In all honesty I think that most homeless desire
housing and a place to call home. The biggest problem
is out of the third that is easily diagnosed by
entering the "system" most of those are not adiquitly
served and go back to there old lifestyle.  It is this
disalusionment that must be addressed, and not by the
statistics of weather or not they have completed the
program.  it is clear to me that the two thirds that
are not in the system are either on a waiting list to
get assistance or have realized that there is no
solution. The later of which holds the greater
solution and the individual is resolved to that fact.
This is there choice by the fact that there is no
other choices available for our "disposable society."
I use this  term because it is the politically correct
one to use behind the closed meeting doors of my
governor.  The political leaders clearly claim that it
is cheaper to euphonize those that have fallen through
the cracks by sweeping them aside and use them for
fill, then to fix the broken part.

Our choice is a long term solution where the homeless
can maintain a simpler lifestyle and become accepted
in our social structure. Give us neighborhood vacant
lots and let us develop it according to our needs with
a "landlord" that is one of us.  Give us a barter
system of vouchers, some whom may be exempt from
duties due to their own disability.  Many of us are
capable of becoming part of the local micro-economy in
cleanup projects, volunteer work, home repair etc. The
landlord would assure to the committees made up of the
social service agency, police, and neighborhood
association. Put a cap on the population count for
safety reasons of the neighborhood.
In this sense we can afford to rent community centers
at night and be gone during business hours to our day
centers or jobs. This is an important step to "self
sufficiency," and "mainstream," at a self paced
program. If we learn to fear the community health
safety and welfare agencies by them letting us down in
times of need who are we to trust. This type of
program is on that can follow a persons individual
needs for their life, offering hope and community
acceptance.  Sure there are those that will say no to
such a program from all sides. I believe that such a
program is better than any that I currently see since
the collapse of the cradle to the grave type welfare
system, as a catch all.

=== message truncated ===