[Hpn] Homelessness a choice or just thrown-a-way people

homey homey@ids.net
Sun, 03 Dec 2000 18:39:45 -0500

--Boundary_(ID_1yWnWgLj0hi7wbresVGm/Q)

Greeting's friends,

I found your comments very good Joseph, they came from the heart! I know =
Tom likes to challenge us to think on the nature of homelessness and how =
we as former homeless and homeless people feel on what is portrayed in =
the media.  Like you Joseph and all you who participate on HPN, I had no =
place to call home at one point in my life.  So, I consider myself an =
expert on homelessness and those issues related to homelessness cause I =
have walked it.  It took me a while to consider on how best to respond =
to this posting.  I hope I do it justice.  It's my hope not to offend =
folks.

If you look at services provided to homeless folks, they are mostly =
based on middle class values. All people want the american dream, a job, =
wife and two car garage.  Rather then accepting individuals for who they =
are and what they may seek in life.  At the same flip side why are so =
many people choosing to opt out of the system?  Could the system be =
broken?  I take the second approach, that the our society is broken.  =
Instead of valuing a person for talents, we value individuals for their =
possessions.  If you do not possess or try to possess valuable "things" =
then your worthless to the system.  Over and over, over and over, being =
told, "your no good to the system" and "your just a burden".  After a =
while you begin to believe what the system says to you, worthless, bum, =
criminal, whore and junky.  When faced with this most choose to opt out =
of the system.  A system which offers them nothing but pain, sadness and =
strife.

Our society rejects those that do not follow traditional middle class =
values.  It criminalized them and pushes them to the fringe.  So much so =
that many opt out seeing this as their only alternative.  Why can we not =
just accept people for who they are and not judge then by their =
"things"?

No one person I believe chooses to be homeless.  Some have opted out of =
a system that rejects them.  Perhaps if society (the system) could just =
accept people for who they are and not what they want them to be.  =
Putting people and community first not dollars and cents. =20

My two cents,

Catalina

--Boundary_(ID_1yWnWgLj0hi7wbresVGm/Q)

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Greeting's friends,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I found your comments very good Joseph, they came =
from the=20
heart! I know Tom likes to challenge us to think on the nature of =
homelessness=20
and how we as former homeless and homeless people feel on what is =
portrayed in=20
the media.&nbsp; Like you Joseph and all you who participate on HPN, I =
had no=20
place to call home at one point in my life.&nbsp; So, I consider myself =
an=20
expert on homelessness and those issues related to homelessness cause I =
have=20
walked it.&nbsp; It took me a while to consider on how best to respond =
to this=20
posting.&nbsp; I hope I do it justice.&nbsp; It's my hope not to offend=20
folks.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>If you look at services provided to homeless folks, =
they are=20
mostly based on middle class values. All people want the american dream, =
a job,=20
wife and two car garage.&nbsp; Rather then accepting individuals for who =
they=20
are and what they may seek in life.&nbsp; At the same flip side why are =
so many=20
people choosing to opt out of the system?&nbsp; Could the system be=20
broken?&nbsp; I take the second approach, that the our society is =
broken.&nbsp;=20
Instead of valuing a person for talents, we value individuals for their=20
possessions.&nbsp; If you do not possess or try to possess valuable =
"things"=20
then your worthless to the system.&nbsp; Over and over, over and over, =
being=20
told, "your no good to the system" and "your just a burden".&nbsp; After =
a while=20
you begin to believe what the system says to you, worthless, bum, =
criminal,=20
whore and junky.&nbsp; When faced with this most choose to opt out of =
the=20
system.&nbsp; A system which offers them nothing but pain, sadness and=20
strife.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Our society rejects those that do not follow =
traditional=20
middle class values.&nbsp; It criminalized them and pushes them to the=20
fringe.&nbsp; So much&nbsp;so that many opt out seeing this&nbsp;as=20
their&nbsp;only alternative.&nbsp; Why can we not just accept people for =
who=20
they are and not judge then by their "things"?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>No one person I believe chooses to be =
homeless.&nbsp; Some=20
have opted out of a system that rejects them.&nbsp; Perhaps if society =
(the=20
system) could just accept people for who they are and not what they want =
them to=20
be.&nbsp; Putting people and community first not dollars and =
cents.&nbsp;=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>My two cents,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Catalina</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_1yWnWgLj0hi7wbresVGm/Q)--