[Hpn] LWWU petition to Salvation Army

Daniel Kerr drk9@po.cwru.edu
Fri, 01 Dec 2000 13:52:55 -0500

--Boundary_(ID_n/B7jjhuenQU5NvwbneOng)

Folks,

Below is a copy of a petition we are circulating in the shelters in
Cleveland.  Our goal is to make similar petitions for the Catholic Social
Services and agencies that run the women's shelters.  If we can get these
enacted, we would strike a serious blow against the labor pimps and improve
the situation of homeless workers.

in solidarity,
Dan

Petition to get Salvation Army to Enact Code's of Conduct for all Labor
Agents that come onto their Premises

Agents from temporary services have seen the shelter at 2100 Lakeside as a
prime recruiting spot for workers.  Throughout the night, labor agents
frequently enter the premises and call for warm bodies that they can send
out and make a profit from.  Numerous instances have occurred in which
these same labor agents have either misled or outright lied to residents of
the shelter in order to recruit them.  These misrepresentations are
frequently related to the wages and hours of the jobs that they claim to
have.  In several instances, the agents have sent residents across the city
to jobs that did not exist.  After wasting hours of their day, they were
told that they had no right to be paid for their time.  Many of the labor
agencies that send their agents to the shelters to recruit, violate federal
overtime laws and place workers in unsafe environments.  Finally, none of
the labor agents provide jobs with living wages and health benefits that
can really assist homeless workers in getting back on their feet.  We call
on the Salvation Army to enact a code of conduct which all labor agents
must adhere to if they are to enter any facilities run by the Salvation
Army.  This code of conduct should insist that labor agents are truthful,
obey federal overtime laws, do not place workers in unsafe environments,
pay workers for four hours of labor if they are sent out to non-existent
jobs, and most importantly provide jobs at living wages with health
benefits.  Agents and entire agencies that fail to meet this code of
conduct should be forbidden from entering any facilities operated by the
Salvation Army.  The Salvation Army should set up a grievance procedure
through which the conduct of labor agents and agencies can be evaluated.

We, the following residents of the Salvation Army shelter at 2100 Lakeside,
call on the directors of the Salvation Army to enact these codes of conduct
immediately:

                         Signature                       Printed
Name                    Date

1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
Please return the petitions to the LWWU meeting on Thursday at 7:00 pm. at
2100 Lakeside.

--Boundary_(ID_n/B7jjhuenQU5NvwbneOng)

Folks,

Below is a copy of a petition we are circulating in the shelters in Cleveland.  Our goal is to make similar petitions for the Catholic Social Services and agencies that run the women's shelters.  If we can get these enacted, we would strike a serious blow against the labor pimps and improve the situation of homeless workers.

in solidarity,
Dan

Petition to get Salvation Army to Enact Code=92s of Conduct for all Labor Agents that come onto their Premises

[...]

         =           &= nbsp;    Signature    = ;          =          Printed Name        &n= bsp;         &nb= sp; Date