[Hpn] ALERT: responce to; banned in downtown ??

john macpherson nyceguy50@yahoo.com
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 09:33:43 -0700 (PDT)

--- Tom Boland <wgcp@earthlink.net> wrote:
> TO REPLY ONLIST to _all_ HPN listmembers, RESET
>
> Where you live, have police shut down squats or free
> meal programs, in
> downtown business districts or elsewhere?
> If so, how did authorities justify their crackdowns?

It is through what I see that there are sutle changes
in police harassment tactics in Austin.  Advocates for
the homeless are subjected to greater levels of
harassment as the mayor is creating greater problems
with construction by "resolving one problem at a time"
which inconvienances all the people and increase the
amount of taxes that are to be paid in by double work.

The police claim that the homeless are bad for the
businesses. I often wonder how they can think that
when it is the homeless that clean the businesses and
do the  unskilled tasks. IT is they that spend there
money in the same area due to the fact that they can't
afford to travel to the outskirts. It is the homeless
that are assigned the tasks that are on the jails work
release programs.  How are the homeless to afford the
rent when PUBLIC INTOX is jail time on the discression
of the officer, and proof is non-existence.  How is a
homeless person expected to remove himself from this
form of a DRESS CODE of conduct?
LESLIE is on the front line of this argument.  He is
in the public eye dressing in drag, with his
social-political written statements in the middle of
the downtown area. Respected by most police for his
statements of police misconduct.  However the city
continues in its non-discressionary tactics of
criminal abuses of the poor for SLAVES.