[Hpn] Cheri takes message to Dems

Coalition on Homelessness, SF coh@sfo.com
Sun, 13 Aug 2000 03:20:55 -0700

http://www.phillynews.com:80/content/daily_news/2000/08/11/local/KWRU11.htm?template=aprint.htm

Friday, August 11, 2000

Cheri takes message to Dems in L.A.

by Lisa Helem, Daily News Staff Writer
Daily News Staff Writer

The Kensington Welfare Rights Union intends to be seen and heard next
week at the Democratic National Convention in Los Angeles.

The union, which was among demonstrators at the Republican National
Convention here last week, intends to get its message across to the
other party.

About a dozen members will make the trek, the group said at a news
conference yesterday at its North 5th Street headquarters.

"We have to let the world know that the homeless do exist," said
Elizabeth Ortiz, a homeless mother and KWRU member.

"Every chance we get, we're going to put our voices out there," said
KWRU President Cheri Honkala. "We have to make sure that the poor are
not made invisible."

In Los Angeles, the group will link up with other human-rights
organizations to put on the National Homeless Convention, the
Mothers' Convention on Welfare, and a march against the World Trade
Organization.

Honkala is also set to speak at a Shadow Convention on poverty and inequality.
The group's experience protesting during the GOP get-together makes
members optimistic that their message will be heard in California.

"Commissioner Timoney will not be able to bicycle into our event.
That's a positive," said Honkala, referring to head Philly's top cop
John Timoney, who kept tabs on the protesters at the GOP convention
by bicycle.

In addition, the group hopes that its concerns will not be
overshadowed by issues of police and protester misconduct, as leaders
felt happened here.

"Anything that diverts attention from poverty and homelessness
doesn't help our cause," said Honkala.

The KWRU hopes that West Coast protesters are able to use the RNC
experience as a guide for how to do things the right way.

KWRU members will leave for Los Angeles tomorrow, and will return,
pending no delay for jail time, on Tuesday.

Send e-mail to heleml@phillynews.com
(c) 2000 Philadelphia Newspapers Inc.

END FORWARD

468 Turk St.